Thread: Bald Eagle #1

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bald Eagle #1

Name:  _O2P6533-as-Smart-Object-1-copy.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  349.0 KB

Went to shot Bald Eagles at Conowingo Dam. Supposed to be the season now, but there wasn't too much action, although more Baldies than usual, maybe not cold enough yet? Anyhow, I always struggled shooting these guys before, and I will be back in the next month a few times to try and improve my results each time. This is my first shot I took today, and for the first time I actually got one sharp in flight from a decent head angle. Anyhow, not the best or anything, tough backlight and all so had to bring up the shadows by almost a stop, but I will be back to try to get better results.

1DmrkIII, Canon 300/2.8 L IS, F/7.1, ISO500, 1/800s, 40% of original, Conowingo in Maryland, 2014

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good one ! I like to see a backdrop like this- gives so much sense of place and habitat.
    Cheers
    JohnR

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice shot. I'm jealous and disappointed that I planned to go out there last Monday (gorgeous day) but other things got in the way. We're entering peak season for these guys, so I need to make another try. Did you call ahead to get the info on the dam release schedule?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Arthur View Post
    Very nice shot. I'm jealous and disappointed that I planned to go out there last Monday (gorgeous day) but other things got in the way. We're entering peak season for these guys, so I need to make another try. Did you call ahead to get the info on the dam release schedule?
    Was there Saturday, it was a decent day, I think its not cold enough for peak peak, but there were about 30 or so Eagles in the area, but not amazing numbers. I didn't call ahead of time, and the dam wasn't open, and so the action was decent, but nothing you can't get on good summer days. I will call next time to maximize my chances. Also note, never come on weekend, way, and I mean way too many people (there was no parking space at all).