Thread: Barred Owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barred Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

I photographed this barred owl last winter. I get a lot of compliments on this image.
    ISO 320
    300mm Nikon f4
    Nikon D300s
    F10
    1/250 sec

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great key hole effect you created with this image, and i love the light owl surrounded by the dark habitat. You were lucky to get the owl's head clear of any distractions and I liked the ruffled feathers. The tree limb helps to nicely anchor your image. Now sure how much of a crop this is or how far away you were but I think your owl could use more sharpening.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, welcome to the forums! A pretty neat image to start off with! On BPN you'll get a lot of constructive criticism, from composition, shooting techs, and then even processing - it's a great place to improve your bird photography.

As Marina mentioned, the key hole effect really brings the attention to the owl, which is great with a habitat shot like this. If it were mine, I would see if I could make it a more natural effect (maybe more feathering in the oval used to create the effect?).

Looking forward to seeing more of you posts!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, welcome to BPN from me, and hope you fun along the way. I like the vignetting effect here, as the owl pops nicely from the surrounding foliage. Im not sure what the surrounding are below the frame as posted, but I would like to see the owl placed higher in the frame with more room below.

Please remember to comment on other members posts too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul

Welcome to BPN

I like this image. It does have a natural feeling about it, I think because of the branches and twigs showing distance from the owl. It would be even better without the OOF twig/branch in front of the owl. Well done

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your comments and your constructive criticism. The images on this site are second to none and I look forward to learning from you all.