Thread: Blue Dasher Near Sunset

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue Dasher Near Sunset

Attached Images Attached Images

I made this image about an hour before sunset in early September, with the sun just out of the frame to the upper left. August A. Busch Memorial Conservation Area, St. Charles County, MO.

Canon 20D, Canon 100-400 IS at 400mm, 25mm extension tube, Av 1/50 at f/16, evaluative metering at 0, on tripod.
    Last edited by Chris Starbuck; 01-06-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Alfred Forns

Great idea Chris and love the result Love the bg an how well the Dfly stands out Excellent sharpness from having the bug parallel I think that some fill flash would have given you more detail and lighten the body without ruining the beautiful rim light

soleynicola

Well Executed lovely quality against a b/g..colours..

( Can't wait for next season ) stunning !

Robert Amoruso

I am liking the rimlight and agree a small bit of flash would have illuminated the body for an awesome affect. Nice job with this image compositionally and with a pleasing BG.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to all for the compliments and suggestions! This one was made a couple years ago, and the flash was sitting at home. More recently I have been better at remembering to take it along, but don't recall using it in a backlit situation like this. I'll have to make a note to try that next summer.
    Chris

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Chris brought about by the beautiful back-lighting. There is detail in shadow area so quite like this image as is. Good complimentry background. Aren't those wings pointing towards the lens always a pain!!