Thread: Brant Feeding - Intimate View.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brant Feeding - Intimate View.

Attached Images Attached Images

I was lying prone in the mucky stuff when the Brant approached a bit too close so I was not able to manoeuvre too much without risking spooking the little guy. It began feeding on some aquatic plants right in front of me so that was a bonus to see rather than the usual park grasses that I usually observe them munching on. This allowed me to get some tight intimate eye-to-eye views of the behaviour of it tugging on some taller pieces. I have a bit more room above but not the whole bird...I cropped a bit closer to "cut" the black neck area rather than having it "clipped" as it is on the full crop.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/200s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld (elbows on the ground), cropped for comp, darkened the pupils, toned down the lower right corner area, removed a bluish cast on parts of the subject.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel! Like POV, moment, BG tone and color. Focus is well placed and all details are sharp. Light is great too. If mine I would try to crop in portrait with a bit more room at the top. TFS.

Cheers,
    Miro

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel - another fun Brant image with great detail and dof. Nice low pov too. The behavior, of course, makes the image.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, Ive gotta try getting down and dirty with my photography as you show here. Sharp and in great focus where it counts, and he certainly is giving you the beady eye. The feeding behaviour adds another notch.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice close up image of this rare to find Bird, Daniel. The low angle works very well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

A vertical shot would have been outstanding I think. The well lit greenery really helps lead the eye into the frame, the raised foot is good. Particularly like the leaf which establishes the time of year.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is great, Daniel. While I would have preferred a vertical shot that encompassed more of your subject, you did everything that you could under the circumstances. And the result is of first-rate interest.