Thread: Leopard portrait

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Leopard portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

This was the first leopard we saw at Timbavati during our trip. I used the 7D and 500mm to get a tight shot as there was too much distracting foliage around so I could isolate her.
    1/800
    f/6.3
    ISO 400
    Thanks for looking and commenting. Cheers.
    Sanjeev

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, I have to say and I know I have said it before, but you have embraced/taken things on board from the feedback you have had and implemented it, both to composition and more importantly your PP and now, it's paying off big time.

If it was me, with that kit I think I would have popped the 1.4 on and shot portrait in order to achieve more of what you wanted, to isolate the subject from the distracting foliage, although you can never isolate everything, unless you have a patient subject and a pair of secateurs LOL. I might look at trying to give a bit more difference to the BKG & subject to gain a bit more standout, you know how to double process so I might go for dropping a bit more on the highlights & Exp for the BKG and keep the subject as is, although a Midtone does add a bit more, but also emphasises the whites/highlights on the Leopard.

Just a point of note, if you do lighten the eyes, just remember that unless they have the same light, one side will always be slightly or more in shade so they should never have the same adjustment.

Keep up the hard work, it's paying off.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev , i really like the subtle color palette in this shot.
    You managed a good portrait shot even if you have been struggling with the grass etc.
    Steve could be well right regarding his tonal thoughts and suggestions , would give it a try , but i like the comp as is , BKG will be the same , maybe less evident if going tighter .

I am with Steve regarding your steps , thinking back a year or so .

TFS Andreas

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - I have to agree with Steve and Andreas, this is leaps and bounds ahead of where you were when you first joined BPN both for techs and pp. Well done. This is a beautiful portrait and the most important parts are in the clear. I would even consider a crop from the bottom to remove the grass creeping in. Steve's suggestions are definitely worth a go to take this already excellent image up a notch.

TFS,
    Rachel

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another nicely detailed photo. Comp works for me but could also see a tighter vertical as well.

9. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone, Steve that's for the advice regarding the eye adjustment. Will keep that in mind in future, its only because of BPN community & particularly the wildlife forum members that I have been able to reach this stage. I will continue to work on my skills, Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice leopard portrait. Tack sharp and nice muted colors. Although the background contains similar tones as the subject, it is nicely out of focus. Well done.
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

12. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can only echo what's been said by my fellow mods, Sanjeev - great work and your last posts have really kicked things into another gear!
    I like this one, colour, sharpness, framing, all great for me.
    Might tone down overall highlights a tad with a luminosity mask?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE