Thread: Deer in the Inlet

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Deer in the Inlet

[IMG][/IMG]

Nikon D5200 | Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6
    f/5.6 | 1/1250 | ISO 400

My first post on BPN . The image is full frame, without cropping.

I thought I'd post a theme image on the last day of October. My family is originally from Ontario, Canada, but I live in Hong Kong right now (GMT+8 I believe).

I've been lurking on this forum for several months now, and I really admire the work of the all the amazing photographers on this forum. I just picked up a camera in January when I went on my first safari, so I'm hoping this is up to the standards of this forum. I captured this image on early August this year on a visit to Knight Inlet on Vancouver Island, BC. This black-tailed deer was crossing the inlet and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I tried to keep as low as possible but this was as low an angle as I could get since I was sitting on a boat.

PSCC for post: Selective sharpening on the deer, increased vibrance a tad, tamed the more noticeable spectral highlights, brightened the catchlight in the eye a bit, and cloned out a black spot above the deer's head. This was my first post processed image I worked on, so I'm not sure if this is alright.

I'm not really sure about the cloning since I don't like to get rid of elements in an image, but the black spot became really distracting. I'm also not quite sure about if/how I should crop.

Looking forward to your comments and critiques .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image. Sharp, level with horizon and good composition. You might consider cropping a little from the bottom and right side. Also, the blue seems a bit intense. You might try reducing the blue saturation, either in Bridge (HSL) or H/S in CC. Well done. Please post some more.
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

3. Thanks Nicholas Chow thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Nicholas, a warm welcome and glad you stopped lurking, hope in the near future you will also become a Member, as it's a great place to build on knowledge, make new friends and most of all, participate in other threads too. When commenting on an image add comments on what you like about the image and perhaps what/how you think it can be improved. When it comes to your own posting please add any specific feedback you are looking for, this will help in ensuring feedback can be more tailored:

Firstly, whenever posting on the web you must ensure your image carries an sRGB colour profile to ensure your image is displayed to it's best on the web. Have a browse through this section too, you will be amazed what it covers:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...onal-Resources

This needs updating but will give you the basics, note file size and kb have also increased, check Guidelines.
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...-for-Web-in-PS

Time zones are not an issue, we are all around the world so just post when you can, although in Avian you will find some guys from Ontario is that helps . Good to see some narrative, camera techs & some PP steps always helps.

Looking at the image and you will see that cropping is oh so personal, I would suggest looking at a 16x9 format based on the full width and working down from the top, I think it tightens up the image and looses a lot of the dead space in the FG. In doing so it also works along the lines of Rule of Thirds with the FG back being a third, the rest two thirds. Techs look good with a nice SS and ISO. Although I'm away and so using the laptop which is not ideal, it does look a bit bright, if so just a little drop in Exposure won't hurt, likewise I feel a hint more sharpening on the subject, never the background. The Vibrance may have pushed the Blue a little, but you were there so will have a better idea on colours. As you first processed image I think you did an excellent job, it all takes time and Post Production (PP) can be hard, but the more you get right in camera, especially exposure the less you will require in front of a screen. IMHO I would strongly suggest you keep software to a minimum, likewise your Workflow, what do you use for processing, NX, LR, PS...?

Look forward to more and hope others will chime in to.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks Nicholas Chow thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nicholas - Another warm welcome to BPN and particularly to the Wildlife Forum. I'm glad you stopped lurking and decided to post. A nice first image and I don't recall seeing a deer in water posted before this. Steve has covered the critique and suggestions in depth.

I will second his suggestion that the best way to learn is to become actively involved in BPN, posting your own images but also commenting on other people's image and participating in other threads. We recommend commenting on at least 3-5 other images in Wildlife each time you post an image of your own. It also helps to foster a sense of community. Your comments and critiques do not have to be technical in nature. Just tell us what you like and/or don't like about an image.

TFS and looking forward to more,
    Rachel

7. Thanks Nicholas Chow thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice setting for the deer and I like the slight turn toward the viewer. I like the idea of a little off the bottom.

9. Thanks Nicholas Chow thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks Douglas, Steve, Rachel and Steve for commenting and critiquing on my image. It means a lot to me especially since I'm new here . Here is a second attempt.

Steve:
    Thanks for giving me tips on how to post, I will try to do that in the future. I have used the 16:9 crop but took a bit more off the bottom. I never really noticed it before but there was quite a bit of dead space in the FG. With this crop the focus is placed more on the deer. The image was taken in pretty sunny conditions so I think that and my exposure would explain why the image seems bright.

I dropped the vibrance completely, and I think the colours are more accurate now, and the blue less overwhelming. I also increased the sharpening on the deer a bit. I use Photoshop CC for PP for now, I might get Lightroom though.

Rachel:
    I didn't know that no one had ever posted a deer in the water since they are quite common animals. I suppose I'm adding to the variety in this forum. I will do my best to comment on others' posts in the future.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nicholas, depending on budget and how far you wish to take your photography, but you may wish to consider/look at a bundle package of LR & PS that Adobe do. Yes, you will sell your 'soul to the devil' so to speak, but it may help as you will get every new update etc free, but you will not officially own the software that is the snag. There is a lot to learn with regard to the soft are and some I doubt you will ever use, but the two work well together and have a seamless transition when working between the two elements. Personally I would avoid at this stage ramping up additional Third Party software until you are a lot more proficient.

cheers
    Steve