Thread: Same Leopard - Mana Pools

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Same Leopard - Mana Pools

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 5DM3, Canon f5.6 400,@ 5.6, 1/1000s, ISO 800, HH from safari vehicle. PP: Bridge/ACR & CC - healthy crop, brighten eyes, sharpen animal and some blur on background. Seeing this creature was one (of many) highlights of Mana Pools. It seem to me to be very close when I first noticed it, but considering I was using a 400mm lens and then cropped quite a bit (more for this image than the previous shot), the surprise factor probably made it seem much closer.
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Douglas, although a hefty crop which is never ideal or good for IQ , but I quite like the framing of the subject and the look back pose.

Looking at the image it looks very saturated and the colours look a bit off. The blacks are clipped likewise the whites creating a very 'contrasty' look which can probably be corrected very easily in the RAW conversion. If you do go back to the RAW, then I would also try to get a better balance for the WB and without adding (if applicable additional) Vibrance or Saturation adjustments, as you can then adjust things via the HSL, pulling back the yellow on the image as presented soon starts to give a better look & feel. I would suggest not lightening the eyes, as again it has a slight unnatural look to the stare.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello
    the shoot is fine..good potition.The colour are , also for me. to much saturated ..but the only very problem is the bg. It is too much similar as color to the leoparrd, there are too much element and the give distraction.
    I crop a little underto put out the point without grass.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice sighting and good composition with nice look back by the leopard. I agree with Steve's analysis and suggestions, it should make a good difference to the already good image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the suggestions. I cropped a little from the bottom and set Sat and Vib to 0. The histogram is against the left side, but that is probably due to the background. Most blacks spots on the leopard are about 10:10:10 (RGB).
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Douglas always good to see a leopard image .
    I like the overall comp as per OP and the look back pose works for me.
    It is maybe a bit over saturated , but for me the contrast is a wee bit high . RP does look a bit better in terms of color and contrast .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

He had beautiful eyes, eh? Repost works better for me for the reasons mentioned, Doug.
    It's a pity that we couldn't have him offset totally against the dark green BG (he wouldn't have tolerated us alighting from the vehicles, eh!)
    On your repost crop I'd still take off some from the RHS for the twigs coming in top right?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE