Default Lapwings

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 5D Mkiii
    f/4 500mm with 1x4iii
    f/10
    1/2000
    ISO 1600
    +1.3 step

I was out last weekend taking photos of waders when a large flock of lapwings flew overhead, there was over 100 birds, I managed to take several shots as they were tightly grouped. This image has quite a big crop as I wanted to show some detail in the birds, and I thought this would be the best composition.

Any advice on this image would be greatly appreciated and thanks for having a look

Threads
    Thank You Posts

William:

Always a challenge with groups of bird in flight, between overlaps, individuals relatively small in frame, etc. I like the light clouds in the bg, gives some sense of depth.

In general, for groups, I find that you want so many that it is almost a blur of bodies, or just a couple, well separated and large enough in frame to show details.

Good job on adjusting your settings to work for a group and against a light background

Personal preference really.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

3. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

William I have taken similar images on many occasions. The image is Ok in my book but it sort of leaves you wondering how it could be a bit better (mine did anyway!) I think Randy has a good point, for impact it needs to be a massive flock or the converse where you can distinguish greater detail in the individual birds and maybe pick up some of the iridescence in the plumage.
    I think your image is well focused, perhaps it may improve with a little more pop?

5. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post