Thread: Twenty Canon EOS-7D Mark II Images

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Twenty Canon EOS-7D Mark II Images

Attached Images Attached Images

This American Oystercatcher image was created at 7:01pm on October 11 on DAY 1 of the recently concluded Fort DeSoto IPT with the Gitzo 3532 LS carbon fiber tripod, the Mongoose M3.6 head, the Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 2X III, and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 1600. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/60 sec. at f/10 in AV mode. AWB.

Central sensor (by necessity)/AI Servo Expand/Rear Focus AF on the bird’s eye and recompose. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

This JPEG represents the optimized image. Learn more about this image and ISO 1600 with the EOS-7D blog post here. The post includes 100% and 200% views.

Folks with questions on the 7D II are invited to ask questions here or on the blog. Feel free also to comment on or to ask about any of the images.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 10-26-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This Marbled Godwit image was created at 6:30 pm on October 11 on DAY 1 of the recently concluded Fort DeSoto IPT with the Gitzo 3532 LS carbon fiber tripod, the Mongoose M3.6 head, the Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 2X III, and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 1600. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/9 in AV mode. AWB.

Central sensor (by necessity)/AI Servo Expand/Rear Focus AF on the middle of the bird’s bill as framed was active at the moment of exposure. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

This JPEG represents the optimized image. Learn more about this image and ISO 1600 with the EOS-7D blog post here. The post includes 100% and 200% views.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 10-26-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created at 7:49am on the morning of 19 October down by the lake near my home. Working from my vehicle I used the BLUBB-supported/hand held Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM lens with Internal 1.4x Extender (hand held with the internal extender in place at 436mm) and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 1600. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop as framed: 1/800 sec. at f/5.6 in Av mode was a full half stop too dark.

65-point Automatic Selection Rear Focus/AI Servo AF selected two sensors in the upper right corner of the array. They were active at the moment of exposure. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

Learn more about this image and ISO 1600 with the EOS-7D blog post here. The post includes 100% and 200% views.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 10-26-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created just after sunrise on the morning of October 12, 2014 on day 2 of the recently concluded Fort DeSoto IPT. I used the Gitzo 3532 LS carbon fiber tripod, the Mongoose M3.6 head, with the Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 200 (via ISO Safety Shift). Evaluative metering +1 1/3 stops as framed: 1/1000 sec. at f/4.5 in Tv mode. AWB.

Central Sensor/AI Servo/Rear Focus AF on the kingfisher and recompose. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

Learn more about this image and ISO 1600 with the EOS-7D blog post here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created just before sunset on the afternoon of October 12, 2014 on day 2 of the recently concluded Fort DeSoto IPT. I used the Gitzo 3532 LS carbon fiber tripod, the Mongoose M3.6 head, with the Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1 stop as framed: 1/200 sec. at f/6.3 in Av mode.

Central Sensor/AI Servo/Rear Focus AF on the bird’s eye and recompose. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

Learn more about this image and ISO 800 with the EOS-7D blog post here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created at 6:42pm on the clear afternoon of October 11 on day one of the Fort DeSoto October IPT with the Gitzo 3532 LS carbon fiber tripod, the Mongoose M3.6 head, the Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 1.4X III, and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop as framed: 1/800 sec. at f/8 in Av mode.

One sensor to the right and one row up from the central sensor/AI Servo Surround/Rear Focus AF fell on a spot just below and behind the bird’s eye and was active at the moment of exposure. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created at 5:47 pm on the afternoon of October 12, 2014, day 2 of the recently concluded Fort DeSoto IPT. I used the Gitzo 3532 LS carbon fiber tripod, the Mongoose M3.6 head, with the Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 800. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop as framed: 1/320 sec. at f/5.6 in Av mode.

65-point Automatic Selection Rear Focus/AI Servo AF selected an array of three sensors on the base of the bird’s neck that was active at the moment of exposure. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

Last edited by Arthur Morris; 10-26-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This Willet head portrait was created at 7:03pm on Day 2 of the Fort DeSoto October IPT with the Gitzo 3532 LS carbon fiber tripod, the Mongoose M3.6 head, the Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, theCanon Extender EF 2X III, and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 1600. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop as framed: 1/80 sec. at f/10 in Manual mode was about a 2/3 stop underexposure.

Central sensor (by necessity)/AI Servo Expand/Rear Focus AF on the top of the bird’s bird’s bill just behind the nares (nostrils) as framed was active at the moment of exposure. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial. Click on the image to see a larger version.

Click here to learn about using the 7D II with the 2X III TC and the 600 II.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created on the clear afternoon of October 11 on day one of the Fort DeSoto October IPT with the Gitzo 3532 LS carbon fiber tripod, the Mongoose M3.6 head, the Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 1.4X III, and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 400. Evaluative metering at zero as framed: 1/4000 sec. at f/7.1 in Manual mode.

Central sensor/AI Servo/Rear Focus AF on the bird’s eye and re-compose (but not quite enough). Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

Learn more about photographing spoonbills with the 7D Mark II here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is the last frame in the sequence: 8:39:37am. With the hand held Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM lens with Internal 1.4x Extender (with the internal extender in place at 406mm) and a beta version of theCanon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop off the light sky 30 degrees above the horizon: 1/2000 sec. at f/8 in Manual mode.

Central sensor/AI Servo Surround/Shutter Button AF on the trailing edge of the bird’s left was active at the moment of exposure. This image is exceedingly sharp.

To see how I screwed up multiple times before getting it right see the "Overcoming Overwhelming Operator Ineptitude" blog post here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created at 8:16am on the morning of 16 October down by the lake at Indian Lake Estates. Working from my vehicle I used the BLUBB-supported/hand held Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM lens with Internal 1.4x Extender (with the internal extender in place at 560mm) and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop as framed: 1/1000 sec. at f/8 in Av mode.

65-point Automatic Selection Rear Focus/AI Servo AF selected the fifth and sixth sensors directly above the central sensor that fell on and just above the base of the bird’s bill and were of course active at the moment of exposure. (See the DPP v3.14.41.0 screen capture below to view the active AF points.) Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

One blog post, a ton of great info: "Is EOS-7D Mark II iTR Face Detection Improved? Does it Matter for Nature Photography? Great Bean Bag Tip for Easier Framing." See it all here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created pre-dawn on the clear morning of October 20, 2014 at Fort DeSoto Park. I used theGitzo 3532 LS carbon fiber tripod, the Mongoose M3.6 head, with the Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 500 (via ISO Safety Shift). Evaluative metering +1 stop as framed: 1/15 sec. at f/4 in Tv mode. Color temperature: 8000K.

Central Zone AF/AI Servo/Rear Focus AF activated two sensors in near the lower right of the grid that were active at the moment of exposure. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

See more images and learn about the 7D II here.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 10-26-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created in the shade of a big stand of trees on the clear morning of October 20, 2014 at Fort DeSoto Park. I used the hand held Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 640 (via ISO Safety Shift). Evaluative metering +2 stops as framed: 1/1000 sec. at f/2.8 in Tv mode. AWB.

Central Sensor/AI Servo Surround/Rear Focus AF on the bend of the bird’s upper neck was active at the moment of exposure. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created on the clear morning of October 20, 2014 at Fort DeSoto Park. Again I used the hand held Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens, with the Canon Extender EF 2X III, and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 400. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/1600 sec. at f/8 in Av mode. AWB.

Upper Central Zone/AI Servo/Rear Focus AF selected four sensors, the one just above the central sensor and the three directly above that one. This array nailed the eye and the face and was active at the moment of exposure. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created with the hand held Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 400. Evaluative metering -1 stop as framed: 1/1250 sec. at f/4 in Av mode. AWB.

Central sensor/AI Servo Surround/Rear Focus AF as framed was active at the moment of exposure. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

Folks have been trying to figure out what this is. See what they think here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created at Fort DeSoto Park in cloudy becoming cloudy-bright conditions on the morning of October 21, 2014. I used the hand held Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens and a beta version of theCanon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 2/3 stops off the sky: 1/2500 sec. at f/4 in Manual mode. Cloudy WB.

Center Zone Shutter Button AF had only the central sensor active at the moment of exposure. As originally framed the active sensor was right above the bird and hit nothing but the distant horizon line.

See more 7D II flight images including a killer incoming Sandwich Tern by clicking here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created at Fort DeSoto Park in cloudy conditions on the morning of October 21, 2014. I used the hand held Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2 1/3 stops off the sky: 1/1600 sec. at f/5 in Manual mode was a slight underexposure. Cloudy WB.

Center Zone Shutter Button AF selected the central sensor and one additional sensor to its left. Both were active at the moment of exposure. The left hand of those two sensors was squarely on the bird’s face and covered both eyes (as originally framed). It is no wonder that this image was so incredibly sharp on the face.

See more 7D II flight images including a killer incoming Sandwich Tern by clicking here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created at 7:13pm on the cloudy afternoon of October 11, 2014 on Day 1 of the recently concluded DeSoto October IPT. I used the Gitzo 3532 LS carbon fiber tripod, the Mongoose M3.6 head, with the Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 3200. Evaluative metering +1 1/3 stops as framed: 1/160 sec. at f/4.5 in Av mode. AWB.

Central sensor/AI Servo/Rear Focus AF on the bird’s eye and re-compose. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

You can see 100 and 200% views of this ISO 3200 image here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This, the third frame in a series of five, was the second of two keepers. It too was created t 81:19am. With the hand held Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 1000. Evaluative metering +2 1/3 stops off the water: 1/1600 sec. at f/2.8 in Manual mode was perfect. Cloudy WB.

Center Sensor Surround/AI Servo Rear Focus AF on the back of the bird’s neck just behind the head head was active at the moment of exposure. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

To see another image from this series and for some great tips on photographing bathing birds, click here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image was created at 7:47am on the cloudy morning of October 24, 2014 at Indian Lake Estates where the cranes are plentiful and tame. Working from my Sequoia, I used the BLUBB-supported Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens and a beta version of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II . ISO 3200. Evaluative metering +1 stop as framed: 1/1250 sec. at f/4 in Av mode. AWB.

Central Zone/AI Servo/Rear Focus AF activated two sensors in the upper left corner of the array that fell on the bird’s shoulder and was active at the moment of exposure. See the DPP Screen Capture below. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

To see 100 and 200% views see the blog post here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning images! Fantastic IQ. Thanks for sharing. I have the 7D and 5DIII, planning to sell the 7D for the 7D II.

22. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for posting those, Artie. My 7D2 should show up next week :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have one preordered! Looking forward to some AF improvement over my 5D3, maybe close to the same noise but a little more resolution, and the ability to handhold with the 300mm f/2.8 + TCs. I absolutely love the 600 but it's too heavy for me to handhold.
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 10-26-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In the hands of a master all cameras are very good.

Great quality Artie.