Thread: Bonaparte's Gull - Adult in Non-Breeding Plumage.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bonaparte's Gull - Adult in Non-Breeding Plumage.

Attached Images Attached Images

Of all the gulls that we are expected to see here in the course of a year, I find the non-breeding plumaged Bonaparte's Gull to be the sweetest looking one. Smaller in size, thinly billed, and timid compared to the other species. If a gull could be considered cute, this one would be it . Stormy clouds ahead and above me, with the sun trying to peek through some thinner clouds behind me created a pretty neat effect here.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1000s., f/8, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, cropped for composition.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with you Daniel, this is one good looking gull. It has a lot more going for it than our local variety
    I like the simple composition here and the slight diagonal perspective of the gull.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

My favorite gull. when viewed from the side their shape reminds me of a spanish galleon ship.
    Nice image with your usual great techs,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice capture Daniel. I wish I could have seen more of these guys when I was in FL.

The water color and 'texture' is neat here, almost a light pastel painting. The light adds to this effect, rounding it all out nicely.

I'm usually a fan of the full reflection, but in this case the multiple eye reflections are distracting for me. Maybe a tighter crop?

Miguel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The lighting conditions were subtly spectacular. The water color and textures really make this special and are a perfect example why lower angles are not always better angles. I like how the bird looks like it's engaging us in a way...eager..great pose..great gull!