Thread: Where's my feed?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Where's my feed?

Attached Images Attached Images

This is Marula's cub looking intently for a feed as Marula lay on the dried river bed. The light was low and I was in a dilemma whether to up the ISO to 3200? What do you think? I liked the expression I caught here.
    1/160
    f/5
    ISO 1600
    5D III & 500 mm II

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - This is just adorable! I like the comp with mom as the fg and the inclusion of the paw on the lhs. Colors and detail all look good. You did well with a slow ss. Only thing I might do if it were mine is back off on the sharpening on the top of the head to draw the eye to the face a bit more. Well done!

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your sharpness for the settings/gear used is exceptional Sanjeev! Though it takes some practice to have confidence in your technique that you can nail this shot when it matters, I would still advise to opt on the safe side (up the ISO) if you are at all doubtful of nailing it and if the moment is going to be fleeting. Love the expression here. Good suggestions by Rachel indeed...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeeve, you did well here. Love the expression of the cub and you had good advise above. With the 5D3, I would have chosen the same ISO. Loi

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry Sanjeev, I didn't answer your question about what I would have done. If the cub remained and it looks like it did since Marula seems relaxed, then I would have experimented with different settings and shot some at ISO1600, some at 2500 and finally at 3200. I might have also played with the aperture too.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel, Morkel & Loi. I will check if I have shot the same scene at different ISOs. I feel on the 5D3 the IQ is best till 1600, I have shot many images at 3200 ISO but am hesitant to post. Will definitely post then just to get your expert opinion and comments so I can improve.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, yep, certainly has the cute factor.

Your call on the crop, however I think you could loose the hint of paw on the LHS, but certainly by no means a deal breaker. Would have no hesitation in going to 3200, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Personally I would liked to have had a bit more DoF, but bolstering your skill set at slow SS is also invaluable.

TFS
    Steve

11. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've looked at this shot several times now, and like it more each time. The detail is excellent, and as I am just getting to know my 5d3 I can see why you were hesitant to push the ISO. However, from what I've seen on my camera at 1600 I'm happy to try and push it a bit further when required next time.

All said and done though, it's a really nice shot, the depth with the foreground and 'those' eyes makes it a winner for me

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - I agree with a lot of what has been mentioned already. I too keep coming back to this and the detail is obviously good but perhaps Rachel's suggestion might bring something back which may be missing here.TFS