Thread: Exuberance - Common loon during coffee hour

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Exuberance - Common loon during coffee hour

Attached Images Attached Images

This is an old image that I have never worked on, from 2010. It was taken in Northern Michigan during what I call the "coffee hour". Although often very territorial when with chicks, the resident loons will temporarily suspend their cranky ways and join small groups of adults that fly in from other lakes to go through an elaborate ritual of greeting and socializing. These meetings generally last 15-30 minutes, and almost always end up with an explosion of activity at the end where lots of flapping, splashing and chasing goes on, ultimately leading to the visitors flying back hence they came, and the adults going back to their chicks, which have been parked in a quiet area along the shore.

D300 500mm AFS with TC-14e, ISO 640 f/6.3 1/320s, taken from my boat.

Post: Full frame on sides, minor crop top and bottom. Selective sharpening on bird. Toned down whites on breast.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, if this is what is captured during the 'Coffee hour' what happens when it comes to 'Afternoon tea'?

Glad you took the time to process this Randy, obviously with hindsight not having the TC would have ensured the wings not being clipped, but for me it's the explosive power that you capture is the key factor. Always love a low POV (where possible) just adds to the image. The strips on the chest sweeping back somehow adds to the forward thrust of the subject for me, nice work.

Any more of these images hidden away???

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What an action packed image Randy! I like the low angle, sharpness, exposure, HA and BG. Very well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loads of action going on here Randy and an image well worth revisiting!
    The approacing loon at this low angle adds lots of impact.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super action & nice low shooting angle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very dynamic image but I so wish the wings were not clipped. Love the breast lines sweeping back.
    I think the slow SS hurt you a bit here. I would add a bit of contrast to the face area. It seems a bit " foggy" to me.
    Still a very cool shot,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now that's what I call framing in the camera! Have you looked at crops that take some off from the right a bit?

I like Gails suggestion of adding just a tad of contrast on the face.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, Randy! I've watched these parties too... (although they sometimes seem more like Cocktail Parties gone awry!) Superb capture of this behavior. Amazing how they "park" the "kid" .... have a quiet "discussion" and the baby stays put till the parents come back for it. A truly unique capture here.... feels like we are in the middle of the party! WDYT about perhaps losing a bit of the "peach" color up top? Love how the HUGE action behind the Loon contrasts with the rather calm foreground. (BTW, the Loon on our lake is STILL here! ... looks healthy, so not too worried yet.)
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one compelling image, Randy! The clipped wings do not bother me one iota. I didn't even notice it on first look. I'm seeing another version also with canvas off all sides or just off of the bottom and top for a pano. You have so many options. This is truly unique. What an amazing body surfer you captured!
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb image, full of impact. Love the composition, the head on approach and all that flying water. 2010, eh? Wonder what else is hiding in your files??

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments, much appreciated.

I suspect there may be one or two more images hiding in the files, perhaps this winter a few more will pop up.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton