Thread: How to color manage a jpg?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default How to color manage a jpg?

Attached Images Attached Images

I磛e been using actions in PS CS6 for a while now but just for curiousity I checked to see if my images where being color managed as I am 创saving for web创 but when I open the file and click on properties there is no sRGB showing as color management.
    My Windows 7 is in Spanish so this may not make any sense but in properties it reads: 创Representaci髇 del color创 and I believe in English should be something like 创Color representation创 or something like that.
    My point is: why if I am saving for web where it should color managed the image, once it is saved I am not seeing the chance in the properties? I even checked the images of some BPN users and some show sRGB and some don磘 so I believe I am not the only one with the same issue.
    Any input is highly appreciated

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default How to color manage a jpg?

Juan there are two ways to do this first before saving for the web you go to edit >convert to profile and chose sRGB from the drop down menu. You can also assigned the sRGB color space in the save for web screen just check the box asking you if you want to use the sRGB color space. Almost forgot if you convert to sRGB in PS you need to tell the save for web screen to use assigned color space. I am on my iPhone so I might have the terminology wrong when I get home I will open up PS to double check I gave you the right info. Just checked PS and the the box you need to check in the save for web screen is convert to sRGB .
    Last edited by Don Lacy; 10-23-2014 at 06:18 PM.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My Spanish isn't so good so I'm not sure what you're seeing there, but I'd just go straight to Save for Web from a master file and check the TWO boxes for convert to sRGB and embed the profile. That's all you need to do.

If you export from LR the profile is embedded, you just have to tell it to convert to sRGB.

Some people here don't understand that they should do that, and can do it easily -- it's not too uncommon to see images with no profile, although most appear to have been converted to the sRGB space.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wait -- from the little icon in the upper left corner -- is this from the Windows image viewer (or whatever it's called)? My understanding is that it isn't color managed, and it may not be showing the image correctly, much less recognizing the information about it. Use a color-managed application like PS or Bridge or Lightroom.

But maybe your action isn't checking the right boxes....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lacy View Post
    Juan there are two ways to do this first before saving for the web you go to edit >convert to profile and chose sRGB from the drop down menu. You can also assigned the sRGB color space in the save for web screen just check the box asking you if you want to use the sRGB color space. Almost forgot if you convert to sRGB in PS you need to tell the save for web screen to use assigned color space. I am on my iPhone so I might have the terminology wrong when I get home I will open up PS to double check I gave you the right info. Just checked PS and the the box you need to check in the save for web screen is convert to sRGB .
    Thanks so much Don for your input. That磗 how I磛e been doing it but still does not show on the image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    My Spanish isn't so good so I'm not sure what you're seeing there, but I'd just go straight to Save for Web from a master file and check the TWO boxes for convert to sRGB and embed the profile. That's all you need to do.

If you export from LR the profile is embedded, you just have to tell it to convert to sRGB.

Some people here don't understand that they should do that, and can do it easily -- it's not too uncommon to see images with no profile, although most appear to have been converted to the sRGB space.
    创Check the TWO boxes创 that磗 what I was not doing! many thanks Diane for your valuable help!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

When you check the sRGB box in Save or web, PS will do the conversion for you -- it's not "assigning" that profile but converting to it. You don't need to convert to it in a separate step before that.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Juan, I just checked your last two images posted in avian and they both had the sRGB color space assigned to them not sure were you are seeing the no color managed dialog.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lacy View Post
    Juan, I just checked your last two images posted in avian and they both had the sRGB color space assigned to them not sure were you are seeing the no color managed dialog.
    Mmmmm, that磗 extrange... I just check my last post of a keel-billed motmot and I still don磘 see any sRGB anywhere, may be a Windows bug? he he he. Any ways, many thanks to both Don and Diane for your help. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I pulled up that one (dragged it to my desktop and opened it in PS) and it does have the sRGB profile tagged (embedded). There is something about the way you're viewing them that isn't showing the profile.

Try what I just did and see what happens.

11. Thanks Juan Carlos Vindas thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Juan, I've seen this also, even for images where I'm sure the color space has been embedded, and jpegs straight from the camera. I think it's a Windows fluke.
    Quite frustrating if you want a last check on which color profile was embedded, but checking in PS or Bridge will give you the right information.
    Last edited by Jerry van Dijk; 10-26-2014 at 05:49 AM.

13. Thanks Juan Carlos Vindas thanked for this post