Thread: Red Tail Hawk

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Tail Hawk

Attached Images Attached Images

Mark iv, ISO 400, f/8, 1/500 +0.33 ev, 500+2XIII on tripod. I cropped it about 40%. Sharpened, levels & curves.

I shot this image in my back yard. The BG is a freshly mowed hay field. After a field is mowed, the resident rodents are more visible & therefore easier to hunt by the local raptors. They frequently use my fence posts as hunting perches.

Based on the red tail’s size, I think she is a female.

Andrew

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew, anymore below?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Andrew, anymore below?
    No. I purposely shot the image to avoid the horizontal fence rail & wire mesh.
    Andrew

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a shame Andrew, without seeing it, but for me, it's just way too tight at the foot.

Killer BKG and I for one would love to have a BKG like this on my patch. Nice detail in the plumage, but have you done any shadow adjustment on the head? Personally I would crop about half an inch at the top to lose the dark green strip, looks cleaner. If it was me, then I would put a blind up and just wait, this could be a very nice project if you have the time, especially if these raptors use a 'killing post' close by, but be patient and keep any movement & noise to an absolute minimum. If it works out, then gradually move the blind a few feet every now and then, but don't get too close, LOL.

Keep it up.

TFS
    Steve

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    That's a shame Andrew, without seeing it, but for me, it's just way too tight at the foot.

Killer BKG and I for one would love to have a BKG like this on my patch. Nice detail in the plumage, but have you done any shadow adjustment on the head? Personally I would crop about half an inch at the top to lose the dark green strip, looks cleaner. If it was me, then I would put a blind up and just wait, this could be a very nice project if you have the time, especially if these raptors use a 'killing post' close by, but be patient and keep any movement & noise to an absolute minimum. If it works out, then gradually move the blind a few feet every now and then, but don't get too close, LOL.

Keep it up.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve. Those are excellent suggestions.
    No shadow adjustment on the head. Are you suggesting that I do that?
    Andrew

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very pleasing BG and soft light & detail here Andrew, agree on more lower room and some off the top crop suggestions also.
    TFS

7. Thanks Andrew Merwin thanked for this post