Thread: Paradise Flycatcher pose

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Paradise Flycatcher pose

Attached Images Attached Images

Ironic that such a beautiful bird has some attachment to flies! Looking around in the likelyhood of a food morsel flying by.

Snapped earlier today at our local botanical gardens. Clarity enhanced a tad in LR, sharpened a tad in PS via USM.

All C & C's welcome.

Nikon D600
    Nikon 300mm f/4D AF-S + TC14 II (420mm)
    f/7.1 | 1/160s | 500 ISO | tripod
    Last edited by Tobie Schalkwyk; 10-12-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tobie,
    Superb image. Nice lights and shadows. Very nice pose, beautiful colors and details.
    Is it female or male?

Regards,
    Satish.

3. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satish Ranadive View Post
    Tobie, Superb image. Nice lights and shadows. Very nice pose, beautiful colors and details. Is it female or male?
    Thanks Satish. This is a female. The male looks almost identical but has a long slender tail. This lady's partner (tail +/- 12" long) was quite skittish and only allowed me a shot partially hidden behind (but staring at me through) some fiolage, preventing a follow-up of a post of the male. This is one of the very few bird species that I'm aware of where the female is at least as beautiful as the male (only his longer tail giving him a small edge in terms of beauty).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tobie I have tried and tried to get a decent shot of these birds and know how difficult it is, you must be very happy to get such a very good shot of this bird.,I know I certainly would be, very well done.

Keith.

6. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keith mitchell View Post
    Tobie I have tried and tried to get a decent shot of these birds and know how difficult it is, you must be very happy to get such a very good shot of this bird.,I know I certainly would be, very well done. Keith.
    Thanks so much Keith! Yep it was not easy. Eventually I decided I was going to move right into the middle of an area they seemed to cross frequently and wait for them to come to me (not the other way round). With a bit of luck this lady decided to come closer to me after about an hour or more. She gave me a chance for exactly two decent shots and then she was on her way again! I wish I was that fortunate with the male (he's a real beaut!) but he just would not offer me a nice shot! Maybe next time!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the detail you've extracted here Tobie, a beautiful bird indeed, I'm seeing a slight sharpening? halo from the throat down through below the breast & along the perch, easily fixed of course.

Is the 300/4 a new purchase Tobie?

TFS

9. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Mol View Post
    I like the detail you've extracted here Tobie, a beautiful bird indeed, I'm seeing a slight sharpening? halo from the throat down through below the breast & along the perch, easily fixed of course. Is the 300/4 a new purchase Tobie? TFS
    Thanks Marc. I've done a little bit of USM but I can't pick up a halo on my monitor. The USM was not done selectively so it shouldn't generate a halo anywhere. I've mentioned purchase of the 300mm f/4 in our last PM discussions in July but I think you were on the verge of an expedition again - too excited to pay too much attention...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the reply, Tobie.
    Do you want to say that even male is of the same color? We have this color - rufous to female and subadult male. Adult male has white color. The Paradise Flycatchers are my favourite bird. I love them.
    I have posted few images on BPN, you can find them in my threads.

Regards,
    Satish.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tobie Schalkwyk View Post
    I've mentioned purchase of the 300mm f/4 in our last PM discussions in July but I think you were on the verge of an expedition again - too excited to pay too much attention...
    Your right of course, I do remember now , my mind is on my next SLNP trip, Sat week.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satish Ranadive View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Tobie.
    Do you want to say that even male is of the same color? We have this color - rufous to female and subadult male. Adult male has white color. The Paradise Flycatchers are my favourite bird. I love them.
    I have posted few images on BPN, you can find them in my threads. Regards, Satish.
    Yes Satish. This is the best shot the male (the partner of the female in this thread) gave me: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tobie_...k/15340642409/. We have quite a large selection of flycatchers but this species - the African Paradise Flycather (suitably named) - is the most beautiful & colorful of them all.