Thread: Flight Photography with Flash

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Flight Photography with Flash

I noticed in the last Bulletin that Artue made some flight images handheld with flash. Could someone explain what the setup is like (I assume some king of flash bracket is used to get the flash off the camera?) and any tips on how to use the setup? It seems like it would be somewhat awkward to pan with a flash and bracket attached.

Thanks in advance. This is such a great site! I learn something every time I visit. People are so generous.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kent, For years I used a flash bracket but found that it was too, too cumbersome not to mention heavy, so now I just stick the flash right in the hot shoe. If the light is very low you are gonna get red-eye, flash eye, purple eye, or steel eye even if you use a bracket so why torture yourself... Thanks for your kind words. It great to see that folks notice a difference here.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That sure will make things easier! Thanks, Artie. This site is the best photographic bargain going.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Wilson View Post
    That sure will make things easier! Thanks, Artie. This site is the best photographic bargain going.
    Thanks Kent. :) Make sure to let all of your photo friends know.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am sorry, but I have a silly question: how can I use the flash with a faster shutter speed than the 1/300 my camera offers me?
    When I mount the flash on my Mark III, I can't choose any faster speed. Di I have to set up the Exposure manually? And how can I get the right exposure?

I hope, you are so gentle to give me an answer... I do use the Canon EX 430 and sometimes the better beamer.

Thanks for taking time,
    Rosl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rosl --

I'm hardly an expert, but what I do it this. I use a Canon 430EX flash on a 40D. I set the 430EX to high-speed Sync. This is done on the flash by pressing the 2nd button from the right as you look at the back of the flash. This allows the flash to be used at all shutter speeds.

I hope this is helpful.

kent

Robert Amoruso

Rosl and Kent,

Kent has it right - use high speed flash sync. When you go over the sync speed of the camera, the flash must reduce the output to allow it to strobe the flash as the shutter travels across the image sensor. Just something to be aware of.