Thread: Lakeland, Fl.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lakeland, Fl.

My wife and I plan to stay in Lakeland for 3 days in March and will be coming from the St. Pete direction. Some of our time will be spent at the Circle Bar C Reserve. Is there any other locations in the area worth a visit? Where is the best place to stay close to the Circle Bar C Reserve?

Thanks

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, I live in Lakeland and do much of my bird photography at Circle B Bar Reserve. As it gets closer to your time in Lakeland I can tell you what I am seeing there. Also in Lakeland you might go to Lake Morton and Lake Mirror. The symbol for Lakeland is the swan, in the lakes there are four different species. Lake Mirror also has Mandarin Ducks that have been released and Shelducks have shown up. There are also varieties of wild ducks depending on what is around. Regarding lodging I cannot help you there but all the major chains have hotels/motels here. I will post again as time gets nearer your trip.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy I really like the lakes for ducks they are usually feed by people and come close to shore. I've had great luck calling in wood ducks on Morton when they are there. I did not know about the mandarins on mirror looks like I need to go check them out
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is there a specific location/trail for the best chance of seeing a Bobcat or it is it just pop luck? By coming in the middle of March will most trails be open? Karen, my wife of 40 years, has Breast Cancer and I want this trip to be as special for her as I can make it. We're going to Fort Desoto, Cape Coral (Owl Lady), Lakeland, Gatorland, and have a day trip setup with Jim Neiger at Blue Cypress Lake so hopefully we get some good photos. Thanks for any info!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, seeing the Bobcat is mostly being in the right place at the right time, pot luck I guess. Certainly early morning is best. In all the times I have been to Circle B I have seen it twice. If you do see it do not be surprised if it walks right past you on the trail. In March all of the trails should be open, the only trail that is closed during the summer in the Marsh Rabbit Trail.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Joe! I really appreciate it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad to see you are getting so many responses at the Circle B FB page. There are so many photographers there, you really don't need a guide, Randy. You can download a map on the internet or pick one up near the visitor center. The photographers are very friendly and helpful. It's good to get there early b/c the sunrises are very pretty and a wide angle is good for this. There are many photographers that know much more about Circle B than I, so I think you're in good hands on their FB page, but let me know if you have any specific questions about Fort DeSoto.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook