Thread: Huntington Beach/Southern California Question

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Huntington Beach/Southern California Question

I am looking for a great place to photograph water birds during the first week of November in Southern California. I know that Huntington Beach can be great around Thanksgiving time. Does anyone know how it is in early NOV? All suggestions appreciated.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,

I'm in north San Diego and haven't been to Bolsa Chica this year, but I'll be up there the last week of October. One of your local Audubon groups was just there and posted this list of birds sighted.

Canada Goose, American Wigeon, Mallard, Northern Shoveler, Red-breasted Merganser, Ruddy Duck, Pied-billed Grebe, Horned Grebe, Eared Grebe, American White Pelican, Brown Pelican, Double-crested Cormorant, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Reddish Egret, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Turkey Vulture, Osprey, Northern Harrier, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, American Kestrel, Peregrine Falcon, Ridgeway’s Rail, Virginia Rail, Sora, American Coot, Black-bellied Plover, Snowy Plover, Semipalmated Plover, Killdeer, American Avocet, Greater Yellowlegs, Willet, Whimbrel, Long-billed Curlew, Marbled Godwit, Ruddy Turnstone, Red Knot, Western Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Long-billed Dowitcher, Ring-billed Gull, California Gull, Western Gull, Caspian Tern, Royal Tern, Elegant Tern, Forster’s Tern, Belted Kingfisher.

They did not give counts for any of these birds, but most are pretty abundant at Bolsa. Typical weather this time of year along the cost is mid-60s to mid-70s, but it can get as high as 90 degrees.

Bob Serling

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Arthur,

If you are going to be out here in early Nov. give me a PM at the end of the month and I can steer you in the right direction. All depends on weather and the winter migration. Some years are good in Nov. but it is usually a bit early for good waterfowl numbers. I might be able to meet you and show you a few different spots to shoot depending on work and family stuff.

PM me if you have any questions. Are you coming out here to visit someone or are you coming just to shoot?

David
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com