Thread: High Key Dahlia

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default High Key Dahlia

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm afraid this is the exact opposite of the current theme.

Taken indoors against a white bg; 105mm macro.

Processed in Elements 10: Slight crop from right, Brightness/Contrast, Saturation, Levels; CEP: Glamour Glow & Classic Soft Focus; Orton effect; Topaz DeNoise.

Is the center too saturated for the softness of the image?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely! Not too saturated for me!

If you'd like to go with the current theme, you can have some fun by doing an Image > Invert and then a Hue-Sat adjustment layer and moving the Hue slider all the way right. But I like it much better as you presented it!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Anita...I agree with Diane...it is not too saturated. In fact, on the right half of the image, the pinks move gradually from relatively intense in the middle to soft on the edge, creating a lovely effect.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I reduced the saturation and liked it better that way, but I tend not to be a fan of high key images. I do like the colors and the strong primary diagonal.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis, are you using Internet Explorer? Does it look equally saturated with Firefox? It is sRGB with the profile embedded, but from some recent posts here apparently IE users can see reds as too vivid.

I don't see any hint of oversaturation in Firefox.

Anita -- what browser do you use and does it look any different in the browser than in PS?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    Dennis, are you using Internet Explorer? Does it look equally saturated with Firefox? It is sRGB with the profile embedded, but from some recent posts here apparently IE users can see reds as too vivid. . . .
    I use Google Chrome. When I copy an image from OOTB and play with it, as I did with this one, I get a good chance to see how it compares in Photoshop on my Cintiq monitor and in OOTB on my LaCie monitor, both of which are color managed. If there's any difference, I really don't see it. I do sometimes think I see some difference between my images in Photoshop after they're converted to sRGB and how they look in OOTB. I'm not sure if that's because of the smaller size and the necessary reduction in quality or something else.

I just ran an experiment with Anita's image in Google Chrome on one monitor and in Internet Explorer on the other. It was more saturated with IE.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty image Anita. I like the complementary colors and the way the flower blends into the white background.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's consistent with what I've heard about IE. Strange, though. And odd about a shift in appearance between the sRGB on your monitors and on BPN. I've heard other people mention such shifts, but IE is often the culprit. Representing colors accurately is a complicated issue with even the best monitors and software.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I appreciate the discussion of how photos look on different browsers. I just did a comparison between IE, Chrome, Firefox and Elements 10. IE definitely increases the saturation. Firefox and Chrome look very much like the image in Elements 10.
    I used to use Chrome, but recently switched to IE because I was trying to get away from Google products (I used DuckDuckGo or Bing for my searches).
    It is important to me that the browser I use replicate images as closely as possible to what I see in Elements. I guess I will be using a different browser, maybe Foxfire.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely work Anita, just beautiful. Looks wonderful on my monitor which is Chrome.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've switched to Firefox awhile ago, on Diane's advice, and am happy. But back to the image. Pure, delicate Anita-style! I love it. Everything looks just right, the diagonal tip to the flower, placement in the frame, exquisite delicate swirls of the petals and shades of pink. I like this intensity and I probably would also like a slightly less intense version. More than 1 way to present a lovely image.