Thread: What is digital workflow?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default What is digital workflow?

In those addresses you may find information about what is the digital work flow. In Brief, its the process for manipulate a digital picture usually in RAW format.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You lost me on this one.

Doug

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Most on this site start with a Raw file and "convert" it to a common format, like TIFF, JPEG, etc. During that process they apply adjustments to achieve what's in their mind's eye. The work flow actually begins in-camera with exposure decisions, cropping, etc. One common in-camera adjustment is to ETTR (Expose To The Right -- of the histogram) rendering an unadjusted Raw file that may look washed out, but actually contains more data than an image exposed as if were film. In Raw conversion, the ETTR image is normalized to get to a properly exposed end result. ETTR will result in less noise in shadows, more shadow detail, but at the risk of blowing out important highlights, which should be avoided. Of course, there are all kinds of other adjustments that are part of our workflows. I have Preset menus that may apply many adjustments to all my images being processed in a batch. I'll then look at each image to fine tune. Some of us stop there, but many go on into programs, such as PS, to make even more dramatic changes or enhancements.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A digital workflow is the step and procedures one uses to capture and prepare a digital image from camera to finale output. While there is a standard workflow one most use to produce an image not every photographers workflow will be the same as most will develop their own set of steps depending on their vision and knowledge of processing.Here is my standard workflow for processing a Raw file before sending it to PS to be finished.

In ACR I do the following adjustments if needed in the following order
    Choose which camera profile I will use base on the image
    Lens correction
    color temp adjustment if needed
    Exposure adjustment if needed
    Highlights and white adjustments if needed
    Black point and shadow adjustments if needed
    Clarity usually +20
    Vibrance Usually +20
    Saturation rarely nedded
    Capture sharpening I usually use the default setting but always use the masking slider to only apply sharpening to the subject never the BG
    Export to PS as a PSD
    In PS I will do I loose initial crop if needed then move on to my localize adjustments which I do with layers an average image will have 4 to 8 layers once I have the image the way I want it I save as a PSD file with all layers active. Once saved I will do a finale crop and down size for the web its at this stage that I will apply any NR if needed again using a layer and only on the BG and finish the image with sharpening on another layer and also only on the subject at no stage do I globally sharpen my images. Now I am ready to save for the web as a Jpeg. Now if you're using a Lightroom only workflow use the brushes to apply NR and sharpening locally at the end of your workflow along with your adjustments if needed I would also save a none cropped master file as a Tiff or PSD file

Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://lacy.smugmug.com/
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don I reckon my workflow is almost identical to yours, I will look again at the Vibrance setting, normally I set mine to 3 so I will check out the higher setting you employ. Regards sharpening I use Philip Perold technique but I have modified it for differing sized web sized images eg 1200px, 900px and 1400px