Thread: Portugal - The face of the woods

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Portugal - The face of the woods

Hi, this one is one of my favourite places from Portugal, Serra do Gerês. It`s almost a magical and preserved place full of surprises.
    This one is a HDR of 4 exposures close to the sunset.

Face of the woods by Patacão, on Flickr

D7000 + sigma 10-20 at 11mm f8, 1/13s ISO 200.
    Photomatix for the base HDR, then tweaked with luminosity masks in photoshop.

Critiques are very welcomed! :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Luis..

l will start by saying I am not a fan of HDR normally because of the unrealistic colours they can produce. You seem to have avoided this in the main and the colours look very natural. Well done to you in this respect. What I can see however is the BG sky looks very patchy in its gradient, maybe as a result of the HDR treatment? Morkel presented a sunset image through trees recently which had a beautiful colour gradient, a very good example of what can be done. I am also not too keen on the distortion of the inward leaning trees. The setting is beautiful..

regards

DON

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Luis, I like the scene, but as Don mentions the sky looks patchy, especially in the upper right corner.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Railton View Post
    Hi Luis..

l will start by saying I am not a fan of HDR normally because of the unrealistic colours they can produce. You seem to have avoided this in the main and the colours look very natural. Well done to you in this respect. What I can see however is the BG sky looks very patchy in its gradient, maybe as a result of the HDR treatment? Morkel presented a sunset image through trees recently which had a beautiful colour gradient, a very good example of what can be done. I am also not too keen on the distortion of the inward leaning trees. The setting is beautiful..

regards

DON
    Hi Don and sorry in the delay for the answer. Thanks for the feedback, as for the patchy sky its something i cant overcome in PP.. I ll have to be more careful for the next ones, to avoid this.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McLachlan View Post
    Hi Luis, I like the scene, but as Don mentions the sky looks patchy, especially in the upper right corner.
    Thanks for the feedback Andrew, as for the sky i`ve answer in the previous reply.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like your perspective and composition here.
    I do feel the HDR look is present in the luminosity and the unnatural-looking colours I see peeping through. I'd be keen to see a comparative version that was blended manually with masks in Photoshop?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE