Thread: Pinnacles WA...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pinnacles WA...

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Guys,
    The pinnacles are a unique limestone rock formation found some 200km north of Perth in Western Australia. It is a regular tourist destination and I bet 1000's of photos are taken here every day in the summer tourist season. This is one more.... Our camera club visited this site this weekend and we got into a bit of Astro photography, which I may post in a day or so..

1D4 & 18mm Zeiss distagon with CPL and on tripod.
    1/40 sec at F8 iso 160. full width but top cropped to 16 :9 format

processed in ACR setting levels etc and then in PS started to delete human marks in the sand, but soon gave up on that.

DON

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don - Looks like a great area for some landscape photography. I like the composition with the placement of the largest rock off to the left. I don't know if the sand is more yellow or red but I if it were mine I would tame the highlights a bit more. I tried a lumo mask for the red channel and it worked well but you would know if the colors are correct then.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Seems a great place for landscape photography and now i`m curious to see the results from the astro session. From this one i like the composition and don`t have much to add after rachel comment.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for commenting. The sun was almost at the horizon at this point and the colours are about right. The red dirt starts about 400Km north of here. I see what you mean with the highlites however, an easy fix.

regards

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like something out of a sci-fi movie -- a place I'd love to visit! Well done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Luis & Diane..

I did get briefly back to the computer last night (it was camera club night) and managed to process one of the astro images in a way I think is better. I still want to play more before I go public however... but promise I will post soon. Thank you both for commenting..

Hi Rachel, Jerry Van Dijk has posted an image from the pinnacles, just checked and his colours look similar... good to check tho' because I am an excitable boy sometimes..

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, great image from a great place! I remember I couldn't stop making more photos when I was there. The color looks alright to me, a bit on the orange side because of the setting sun.
    I finally finished processing all my photos from my trip to WA (in 2012), I'll see if I can post another one later.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, this looks like a fantastic location. The only thing I would suggest is evicting the branch that is sticking out behind the main pinnacle. Would two steps to the left have hidden it? Can't wait to see more from here!!!