Thread: Emotional

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Emotional

Attached Images Attached Images

Well you guessed right, the title is about how I felt at the time, although this young lion was also emotional when Mom arrived after a period of absence.

I managed to capture a few special moments with her and one son cuddling and displaying affection, forgot to mention in previous threads that most images taken late that afternoon were shot with little or no support, I did have a bean bag but was so close to the lions that any movement or shuffle might have upset mom who was quite protective of her offspring. The lions were behind us and I was seated at the back of the open vehicle, could not really move around too much.

This was processed before Andreas shared with us his sharpening technique, it is probably less crunchy than my latest images but I would like to know whether this works for you and before I do an RP I would appreciate some suggestions regarding colour and comp. I was so close to these lions I struggled to include the paws, Mom moved at some point and suddenly they were no longer in the same focal plane, I became more interested in capturing the expression from the cub and so I took a few frames. Keeper? I personally like it, despite the OOF Mom, should you all think it does not work I will keep it for memory sake and spend my evenings on other images.

Have a wonderful day tomorrow!

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm
    F7.1
    1/1250
    ISO 5000
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 09-18-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela,

The pose you have captured here is sublime, and the OOF mum doesn't bother me one bit as it just focusses more attention on the youngster. However, to my eye, it looks like you've hit the focus just in front of the eyes - the nose looks far sharper. So, in that respect, I'm afraid to say that whilst the emotional side works perfectly, as an overall shot it falls just a little short compared to some of your other work.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love everything about this scene Gabriela! Focus perfect on the fully opened eye and nose / mouth area with nowhere else for my eyes to wander off to. Perfect title too!

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Another cute image from this encounter. I think the oof mom actually adds to the image with the way you have used her to frame the cub. The upside down cub with the tip of tongue out certainly gave you a great pose. The nose does look a little sharper than the eyes. Where was your fp? Keep them coming from this series.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela,

love the pose and stick out tongue of the little chap. I as well would like to have a bit more sharper eye. Come on, switch the motor of processing into 4th gear, you can do it :))
    Mom as usual and as all moms on earth, caring for the youngsters :)) Agree with Rachel with big mumzay

Have a great day

Ciao
    Anette

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice moment, composition and color both work for me as posted. Cut off bits don't affect the main subject, i.e. interaction between mom and cub. Color looks soft, subdued, and natural. The open eye is a touch softer than the nose but some selective sharpening on that area makes it less noticeable (a non issue for me as posted).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default RP

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all so much for comments and feedback,

Rachel, I know for a fact that the focus point was on the nostrils of the young un' , actually, the top nostril. I remember wondering whether I should delete this or make an effort to save it...When I have a sequence of similar shots, one of my main criteria for deleting/keeping images is focus point and sharpness. The first twenty or so images were spot on, right on the eyes of the cub. I kept some of them, but mom was busy grooming him and his eyes were half closed or looking away. I was waiting for the right pose but grew tired of holding the camera towards the end, and that is when the young fellow opened his eyes and looked at me...This image is part of yet another sequence of similar shots (yep, and I can do a nice video with them, LOL), this is the nicest one one because of the expression on his face and mom so still and content. Nevertheless, I tried sharpening the eyes and reducing that bright spot in one eye, let me know if ok or I must try harder

Oh, maybe I must glue a mini beanbag to my lens...The good stuff sometimes happens when I am not 100% prepared. I still tried to push my jacket gently under the lens for more stability but "mumzay" was twitching her muzzle every time I made a move, I was incredibly close to her, she might have bitten my nose off , had I shuffled around with the beanbag. Besides, I was slightly above them and any support would have pushed my lens too high... shaky hands and all, this was the best compromise I could, so now I must just sharpen sharpen sharpen I'll ask Andreas if he'll be so kind to take a look at this in a few days' time...
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela , you emotional lady photog .
    Like the sweet moment you captured with these two.Like the framing and the whole tone /color combo on this one .Very nice . But there is an issue with the FP and the narrow DOF , that can not be repaired afterwards . You will loose or never get the same detail as on the nose , you could fix the eyes . The problem areas are the surroundings .

Sadly Gabriela . You need to go back with Carl

TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I like this, as it's similar in style to my two lions eating and so having the OOF parent isn't an issue for me, but adds to the scene. Personally a bit more DoF I think to just bring that eye in, yes I am critical on this as I want to see more from your forth coming trip, get that FP on the eye. This is where the eye engages with the viewer, the cub is looking directly too YOU, so for me that is the key in the whole comp, but again, just my take. A little tight at the foot, is this FF or cropped, can you add this when you post, it certainly helps. Colours look good and reflective of the light based on the techs, but watch those whites, I'm surprised they are that white?

You can read so much into a shot like this, and as mentioned, great to have the eye open, but the hint of tongue is just a little 'cheeky' factor which I feel is a nice bonus.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, thank you. I know you are right...I did try so hard to fix this. I would cook it if I pushed the sliders. Hmm...Those lovely eyes and those lashes...This hurts, for I so loved this. But I am grateful that you and my other BPN friends are critical. What is the point in deceiving myself? I have to let go of this image, perhaps delete it so I do not see it again and again. Thank you dear Andreas. Whew, so much to talk about when you get here! We cannot wait...

And Steve, I know you understand why I liked this so much. I liked it for the same reason I liked your image. When I was shooting this I thought to myself "Steve will enjoy this". I could not wait to process and post so you could see it.

At the time this was happening I could not even put the VR on, I hardly moved my hands, mommy was growling with our every move. Only when she relaxed I shot, little bursts.

The tightness at the foot I could not help, was trying so hard to include the eye of mom and thus sacrificed the paw. Nothing here on the bottom, not a millimetre. The whites I could perhaps fix, I did not touch them during PP. Only saw after posting, but it was too late. A bit blown there on the chin. I might have another similar image, shall look...Thank you Steve, you are ever so kind and gentle with your comments but you do not miss anything, and especially the significance of what I am trying to portray.

These killers (lionesses) are great mothers. There are many things I am afraid of, but I am not afraid of lions. I try not to do silly things when in their company, but I do enjoy the thrill of being close to them. Each time this lioness looked me in the eye I stared at her for a few seconds, mesmerised, but also trying to read her intentions. When her ears went backwards and she gave me a serious look, I closed my eyes to say " I am no threat". She then closed her eyes and looked away too. We reached an understanding. This went on for a while, I might have missed a couple of shots but those are memorable moments I treasure. In my mind those "images" - or rather moments - are sharp and vivid, and for this reason I tried - this time without success - to present them to you in a way that you would be excited and amazed by the situation. I do hope that - as much as I try to see the technical side of things in your images - you do not forget to read my threads in the same way you read a story. I have many stories to tell but I am afraid you have had enough of my lions for now...let me see what else is "lurking" in my folders, will be back

Hope your week-end is fun,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, you are indeed, as I have said before, a Great Storyteller, and coupled with your images, brings everything to life so much more.

Rather than cluttering the thread I'll pop a revise to you which may help in certain directions, but your call if you want to include it here.

Don't stop and delve more into those folders.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve, your email arrived with issues sorted and I admit I sometimes wish I were a little fly on your study wall...I am busy with an RP following your advice step by step, hope to achieve a similar image to yours. Your work and your knowledge is a fountain of inspiration for me, once again - thank you so much
    Gabriela Plesea