Thread: Traveling to Australia-Need Equipment recommendation

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Traveling to Australia-Need Equipment recommendation

Hi Everyone,
    I will be traveling to Australia in several weeks and have been thinking about what camera equipment to bring. I will be shooting scenery, people, birds and other wildlife. I don't want to be loaded down for obvious reasons (including all the plane travel involved). I have a Canon 7D and a Canon S100. Thanks for your help!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What lenses do you have for the 7D? If the choice is between the two bodies you listed, I'd certainly find a way to bring both, with the 7D for birds and wildlife. But the decision really depends on what you think you can shoot with most successfully with the photo ops you expect to find.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi April

I live in Perth (on the west coast of Australia) and if I can help on specific issues you have then I am happy to do so. Your question (and subject range) is pretty broad so its a bit difficult to answer. Do you have specific areas you are planning to visit? Be aware the summer is on its way and the sun is pretty intense so ND and CP filters will help. Lots of areas have pretty abundant birdlife, but the gear we use here is the same as everywhere else. same for scenery etc.. Things like kangaroo can be found pretty easily even in the city in the larger parks and many golf courses. If you go north (above the top 1/2) be aware that crocs don't take prisoners, so seek local knowledge for your own safety... Crocs are not a problem in the bottom half because the sharks have eaten all the crocs... (it's an old joke.. a bit like me really...!)

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That reminds me, you might want to take a macro for the spiders...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have 400mm 5.6, 70-200mm 2.8 IS II, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1.4X convertor, 24-105 mm F4L IS I will be in various parks including Daintree and Walpole, Great Barrier Reef and Uluru. Like they used to say "all over like horse poop." I really love bird shooting.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will be staying with a friend from Perth and driving down to Albany and Walpole. Any Good birding sites?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi April

I PM'ed you last night with a list of Perth based sites. If you are heading south I will look further because it's not local for me and I don't have first hand knowledge. There are a lot of Estuary's in Albany so sea birds and waders are very common. There is a walking trail from Perth to Albany via Walpole (Bibulman track, 900 km long..) that would be a good spot to walk along which is common to both towns. This track is free public access and will take you through low coastal scrubby bush at the Albany end and Tall timber at the Walpole end..

DON

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Hi April
    I am a zoologist, author & wildlife photographer based in Cairns.
    You need to look at the Australia forum for further advice.
    Here are perhaps the most relevant threads for you (re Nth Qld anyway. Plus Donald has given you some good oil for his region).

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...d-the-Daintree

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...aphy-in-Cairns

It was good to know that I pointed the BPN travellers to their best experiences on their trip up north. It all depends on how deep you intend to go in the jungle or how much energy you use up.

Your equipment list looks fine. But be aware our torrid, pre monsoonal weather conditions are beginning to build now & they can seriously grind you down.

Before worrying about any camera equipment in your load, be sure to carry some electrolyte replacement & water with you, pushing a 70-200 down your throat wont save you!
    Dehydration is a big problem here & one of the main afflictions that the Cairns Base Hospital casualty dept deals with, especially if you are carrying a 'Ford Fiesta' on your back but perhaps less problematic if you are built like a Yeti.

But seriously April, it can strike you down swiftly & without warning, just keep sipping throughout the day & you will be fine.

I am more often than not away so not sure if I will be able to meet up with you (PM me nearer your arrival) but do take advantage of "The Bench" as in the Australia Forum. Just smile & say hello.

Hope its of some help to you April.
    Any clarification required, just get back to me.

Cheers
    Frank Harrison