Thread: The Skinny on the 7D II/Part I

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Skinny on the 7D II/Part I

The 7D II/7D Specs Comparison Chart

EOS-7D Mark II DSLR Camera EOS-7D DSLR Camera
    Lens Mount Canon EF (compatible with EF and EF-S lenses) Canon EF (compatible with EF and EF-S lenses)
    Image Sensor APS-C (22.4 x 15.0 mm) CMOS APS-C (22.3 x 14.9 mm) CMOS
    Image Processor Dual DIGIC 6 Dual DIGIC 4
    Effective Pixels 20.2 MP 18.0 MP
    Total Pixels 20.9 MP 19.0 MP
    Maximum Resolution 5472 x 3648 5184 x 3456
    Aspect Ratio 3:2 3:2
    Still Image File Format JPEG, RAW JPEG, RAW
    Storage Media CF Card Type 1, UDMA-compliant; SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards CF Card Type 1 and II, UDMA-compliant
    Card Slot 1 x CF
    1 x SD
    1 x CF
    Viewfinder Type Intelligent Viewfinder II (Eye-level pentaprism) Intelligent Viewfinder (Eye-level pentaprism)
    Frame Coverage 100% 100%
    Magnification 1.0x -1m-1 with 50mm lens at infinity / 29.6° angle of view 1.0x -1m-1 with 50mm lens at infinity / 29.4° angle of view
    Eyepoint 22 mm from eyepiece lens center 22 mm from eyepiece lens center
    Diopter Adjustment -3.0 to +1.0m-1 -3.0 to +1.0m-1
    Shutter Type Vertical-travel, mechanical, electronically-controlled, focal-plane shutter Vertical-travel, mechanical, electronically-controlled, focal-plane shutter
    Shutter Speed 30 seconds to 1/8000 second 30 seconds to 1/8000 second
    Flash Sync Speed 1/250 second 1/250 second
    Drive Modes Single, high-speed continuous (10 fps), low-speed continuous (3 fps, default), silent single shooting, silent continuous shooting (4 fps), self-timer Single, high-speed continuous (8 fps), low-speed continuous (3 fps), self-timer
    Top Continuous Shooting Rate 10 fps 8 fps
    Self-Timer 10 or 2 seconds 10 or 2 seconds
    Exposure Metering System 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor with 252-zone EOS iSA system 63-zone SPC TTL metering
    Metering Method Evaluative, partial, spot, center-weighted Evaluative, partial, spot, center-weighted
    Metering Range EV 0-20 EV 1-20
    Exposure Modes Program, shutter priority, aperture priority, Creative Auto, full auto, manual, E-TTL II autoflash program Program, shutter priority, aperture priority, Creative Auto, full auto, manual, E-TTL II autoflash program
    Exposure Compensation ±5 stops in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments ±5 stops in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments
    ISO Sensitivity 100-16000 (Expandable to H1: 25600 and H2: 51200) 100-6400 (Expanded: 100-12800)
    Autofocus System TTL secondary image-forming phase-difference detection with AF-dedicated CMOS sensor TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
    Number of Focus Points 65 all cross-type (f/2.8 at center, dual cross-type) 19 all cross-type (f/2.8 at center, dual cross-type)
    Focus Modes One-Shot, Predictive AI Servo, AI Focus AF, Manual One-Shot, Predictive AI Servo, AI Focus AF, Manual
    Autofocus Sensitivity As low as EV -3.0
    Live View, Dual Pixel CMOS AF: EV 0-18
    EV -0.5-18
    Built-In Flash Yes Yes, GN: 39' / 12 m at ISO 100 and 15mm (APS-C)
    Flash Control E-TTL II E-TTL II
    Flash Modes Auto, manual, multi flash Auto, manual, multi flash
    Flash Compensation ±3 stops in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments ±3 stops in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments
    External Flash Interface Hot shoe, PC terminal Hot shoe, PC terminal
    White Balance Modes Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Twilight, Sunset, Tungsten, White Fluorescent, Flash, Custom, Color Temperature Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash, Custom, Color Temperature
    White Balance Bracketing Not specified by manufacturer ±3 levels in 1 step increments
    Movie Recording Yes Yes
    Movie Resolutions MOV Format
    1920 x 1080: 59.94 / 29.97 / 24.00 / 23.976
    1280 x 720: 59.94
    640 x 480: 29.97

MP4 Format
    1920 x 1080: 59.94 / 29.97 / 24.00 / 23.976
    1280 x 720: 59.94 / 29.97
    640 x 480: 29.97
    1920 x 1080p: 29.97 / 23.976 / 25
    1280 x 720p: 59.94 / 50
    640 x 480p: 59.94 / 50
    Movie Exposure Modes Program, shutter priority, aperture priority, manual Program AE, Manual exposure
    File Format MOV, MP4 MOV
    Compression MOV Format (IPB / All-I)
    Image Data: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
    Audio: Linear PCM

MP4 Format (IPB / All-I)
    Image Data: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 (Variable bit rate)
    Audio: AAC
    Image Data: H.264
    Audio: Linear PCM (monaural)
    Audio Recording Yes, with video Yes, with video
    External Microphone Input Yes, 3.5mm Yes, 3.5mm
    Headphone Jack Yes, 3.5mm N/A
    Maximum Recording Time 29 minutes 59 seconds 1920 x 1080: 12 minutes
    1280 x 720: 12 minutes
    640 x 480: 24 minutes
    Monitor 3.0" 1,040k-dot Color Clear View II Color TFT LCD 3.0" 920k-dot Color TFT LCD
    Monitor Viewing Angle Not specified by manufacturer 170°
    Interface USB 3.0
    Video OUT (NTSC / PAL)
    mini-HDMI OUT
    USB 2.0
    Video OUT (NTSC / PAL)
    mini-HDMI OUT
    Wi-Fi N/A N/A
    GPS Yes, built-in N/A
    Power Source 1 x LP-E6N Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
    Optional ACK-E6 AC Power Adapter
    Optional BG-E16 Battery Grip
    1 x LP-E6 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
    Optional ACK-E6 AC Power Adapter
    Optional BG-E7 Battery Grip
    Battery Life Approx. 800 at 73°F / 23°C Approx. 1000 at 73°F / 23°C
    Operating Environment Temperature: 32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C
    Humidity: 85% or less
    Temperature: 32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C
    Humidity: 85% or less
    Dimensions 5.9 x 4.4 x 3.1" / 15.0 x 11.2 x 7.9 cm 5.8 x 4.4 x 2.9" / 14.8 x 11.1 x 7.4 cm
    Weight 28.9 oz / 820 g (body only) 28.9 oz / 820 g (body only)

Thanks to Peter Kes for making it possible to post the chart above :).

What Jumps Out At Me?

First off, let’s not forget that the 7D II is a 1.6 crop factor camera that increases the effective focal length of you lens by 60%….

Is it likely that the Dual Digic 6 processors will yield higher quality images with less noise at the higher ISOs? Probably. To know for sure we need to get our hands on a 7D II, get out, create some images, and see how they look on a good monitor. To that end B&H ordered a loaner for me so I should have my hands on one of the first 7D II bodies. Today, I will try to arrange to borrow one from Canon for testing soon but success there for whatever ridiculous reasons is not likely. Some folks including me were not huge fans of the original 7D’s tiny pixels, especially at the higher ISOs and in cloudy or overcast conditions. That said, some folks, like BPN Avian Forum Moderator Dan Cadieux have done just fine with the 7D. If you are a non-believer, click here.

The addition of an SD card slot should make some folks happy. I never use them in fear of losing the tiny SD cards….

The top continuous shooting (frame) rate of 10 fps should make all bird and wildlife photographers happy. Be sure to read the fine print when it becomes available as the maximum frame rate often drops considerably when you go from One-Shot or Manual focus to AI Servo AF.

The new metering system sounds impressive but getting the right exposure will always be more about the photographer’s understanding of exposure theory and their camera’s metering system than about the camera’s metering system….

The expanded ISO Sensitivity (expandable to ISO 25,600 and ISO 51,200) is not likely to be of interest to most nature photographers.

The improved autofocus system sounds great but as always, the proof will be in the pudding. But the My T Fine Pudding is not yet on the shelves.

The improved low light AF sensitivity sounds great as well.

It’s been so long since I have used a 7D that I had forgotten that it has a Built-in Flash. That feature has been continued in the 7D II. I always enjoyed having a pop up flash available for both indoor shooting and for a very few nature photography applications.

I am not qualified to comment on the improvements in the movie capabilities of the new camera but they too sound exciting.

AF at f/8

I was directed to this on the Canon Europe website:

AF System/ Points: 65 cross-type AF points (Centre point is an extra sensitive dual-cross-type point at f/2.8, cross-type at f/8, and sensitive to -3EV).

This is a huge plus as folks will be able to AF with f/5.6 lenses and a 1.4X TC and will be able to AF with f/4 lenses and a 2X TC…. This is so huge that I will try to confirm it with Canon USA’s top technical representative Chuck Westfall today.

More Neat Stuff

A built-in intervalometer permits the creation of time-lapse imagery and supports recording 1-99 consecutive frames in pre-selected intervals. This sounds like a great feature that will make it easy for folks to experiment with time-lapse photography.

Your Call

If you feel that I missed something important here, or if you have any questions on the comparative specifications chart, please fire away and I will do best.

Please consider supporting BPN by using our B&H affiliate logo link below to pre-order your 7D II. It will not cost you a penny more and will help us continue to bring you the latest info and quality critiques.

Last edited by Arthur Morris; 09-16-2014 at 09:40 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Read it this morning on your blog, nice breakdown. I cant wait to get one of these with a bare 500 out in the marsh for my ducks in flight stuff. I don't expect it to match my 5DIII for noise but if it can go to 1600 iso without a noise issue I will be happy as heck!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Subolefsky View Post
    Read it this morning on your blog, nice breakdown. I cant wait to get one of these with a bare 500 out in the marsh for my ducks in flight stuff. I don't expect it to match my 5DIII for noise but if it can go to 1600 iso without a noise issue I will be happy as heck!
    Thanks. Me too. As I said above, and as Arash has said elsewhere, image quality on paper and image quality on a good laptop might be two different things. All pixels are not created equal....

I wish that we had gotten to you and a few others earlier so that you could have used one of our affiliate links to pre-order. Asleep at the switch :).
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, you seem somewhat skeptical.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don,

Just a bit. Perhaps. I am 100% positive that the 7D II will be a huge improvement on the 7D. In addition, I wrote this in this morning's blog when I was responding to a question on 7D AF with older lenses:

I am sure that the 7D II will focus better than the 7D on any lens. I am sure that the 7D II will AF just fine with the older EF lenses. And I am sure that it will AF faster and more accurately with the Series II super-telephotos than with the older lenses. Not because of anything to do with the camera, simply because the Series II lenses feature better AF than the older lenses.

You should subscribe. There will be lots more on the 7D in tomorrow's post.

So what is my concern? I need to see some 7D II images created by me in various lighting conditions at various ISOs to determine if I will be adding one to my gear bag....

There is a chance that I may get to borrow one for a week in OCT.....