Thread: Crab Orchard at dusk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Crab Orchard at dusk

Attached Images Attached Images

Was out at our local Crab Orchard Wildlife Sanctuary at dusk yesterday. Not much wildlife around (the gees don't come in until next week) but found these gulls. The light seemed good for that time of day.
    Nikon D7000. Lens 18-135 F3.5-5.6. 1/250. fll iso 200. I know the 200 may seem wrong, but anything larger didn't seem to catch the light right.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous light!! Not sure what you mean by "fill ISO"? But whatever you did, it certainly worked!

The dock is level but the horizon is off -- I'd straighten the horizon and let the dock go with the flow of perspective.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Light Hazel, and a gorgeous time to be shooting. Image does need CW rotation IMHO...

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

the fill is a typo. sorry I debated about that tilt....dock or horizon. I'll defer to the experts and make the change. thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Definitely a level horizon always wins -- unless it's a hillside, of course. If the receding perspective on the dock looks too strange, you can always do a horizontal perspective correction and have both level. Edit > Transform > Distort and pull the left corners up and down, or use the Lens Correction in PS or on the raw file.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

great idea. thanks.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Hazel - Very nice light. What was your aperture? If possible it might have been nice to stop down a bit to get more of a sunburst. I agree on the rotation. Was it possible in the field to get clear of the foliage at the bottom of the frame or to at least avoid it intersecting the reflection on the left? Perhaps a lower pov.

TFS,
    Rachel

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Hazel, very nice light...I also would prefer to see an image without the foreground foliage, but not sure if it was possible. I agree on rotating as well. What I like most is the reflection of the gulls and the dock...would make a neat abstract with a longer focal length.

9. Thanks Hazel Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I think I got the horizon/dock angles finally straightened out. RE the foliage framing the bottom. No, I couldn't find a way to get out of that problem. I was standing on the road (actually, a causeway). From the edge of the road was a steep bank down to the lake. Very large greenery was there. Best I could do was try to find a break in that vegetation to shoot through. 1/250 f11 iso 200 probably needed to raise the iso. one of those spontaneous moments to catch them before they flew off, which they did shortly after the shot. appreciate all your comments

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes! How often do I wish for a really long pruning pole.