Thread: Florida Trip next March

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida Trip next March

HeyEveryone, Next March, if God willing, Karen and I are planning on making aswing thru Central Florida. Karen hasbeen thru Breast Cancer the last two years and just got a good report from theDoctors. My plan is:
    1 ½ says atFort Desoto
    1 day withthe Owl Lady at Cape Coral to photograph Burrowing Owls.
    1 day to 1 ½Go to Lakeland area to visit Circle B Bar Reserve and any other area you couldrecommend. Any photo guide recommendations would beappreciated.
    1 day withJim Neiger at Blue Cypress Lake.
    1 day atGatorland.
    Please giveme and advice at what additional areas to visit. Thanks!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This itinerary actually sounds pretty darn good. It sounds as though you've been doing some research. You you will absolutely love Fort DeSoto. If it's early March, you probably won't see any baby owls, but you never know. They usually show up near end of March. You sure are squeezing a lot into a short period of time. You are SO going to wish you had more time at most of these places. You can find a map on line for Circle B. Also join their Facebook page so you can see what's going on every day. I think it's Circle B Bar Reserve FB page. If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to ask.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Scarr View Post
    This itinerary actually sounds pretty darn good. It sounds as though you've been doing some research. You you will absolutely love Fort DeSoto. If it's early March, you probably won't see any baby owls, but you never know. They usually show up near end of March. You sure are squeezing a lot into a short period of time. You are SO going to wish you had more time at most of these places. You can find a map on line for Circle B. Also join their Facebook page so you can see what's going on every day. I think it's Circle B Bar Reserve FB page. If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to ask.
    I would like her to see the baby owls. Would the last of March be better. Last year my Son carried me down to Fort Desoto for some R&R and I loved it. The baby owls had left the nest and were limb jumping to the left looking at the beach. Never got a clear photo. I was thinking we were down there around the last of March. The Owl Lady said I would be too early for the Burrowing Owl babies but we would see many adults. Any advice is appreciated as the trip is mainly for her.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I could reverse the order with the Jim Neiger trip first as it is the only one with somewhat of a firm date or try and reschedule Jim's trip a little later.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you are talking about the great horned owls at Fort Desoto, they don't always nest at the exact same time and sometimes they skip a year. Let's hope they nest in the same tree again this year. This year they fledged around March 10. Last year they fledged around Feb 20.

You are correct about early March being too early for baby burrowing owls. You would see the babies by the end of March however. You would see many adults at this time but most female will be incubating and the males standing guard.

I would say doing Jim's trip at the end of your trip would be best in terms of osprey action but each year it's a little different.

If you have other questions, please advise.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook