Thread: Mac Daddy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mac Daddy

Name:  IMG_6901-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-3.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  309.3 KB

Well that's what we called him, Mac Daddy. The guide knew him and said this bull was 50-60 years old, so there you have it.
    Mala Mala Game Reserve, South Africa
    80-200 @200mm
    Hand held, manual focus
    1/400 ISO 400 f/8
    LR for lights/blacks and smart sharpening
    Lumo mask in PS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Edward, love the light and colors. Excellent sharpness and looks like you did a good job with manual focus. Any reason for why manual focus? TFS. Loi

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ed - PP already looks better. You've brought out excellent detail and texture. Comp works with the tusks going towards the corner. Sharpness also looks good. Did you clone anything in the upper left corner just above the ele? There are a couple of smudges there. There's also a dust bunny just above the trees near the right edge. Keep 'em coming.

Loi - my understanding and Ed will certainly correct me if I am wrong is that Ed uses Zeiss manual focus lenses.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ed, big boy looks good. Rachel mentioned most already. try to dim a bit the highlights on the tusks a bit. Just me!

Have a great day

Ciao
    Anette

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ed certainly a big looking boy.
    Colors , detail and comp working nice. The HL need to be toned down a fraction and i would look at the shadows , choked blacks and weird looking color transitions .Just me .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the great comments, gang. I'll revisit this one with a more critical eye thanks to your guidance.

Loi -- Rachel is correct that I do use Zeiss MF lenses. I chose these for doing still life, landscapes and portraits where MF isn't an issue, plus their rendering/bokeh/pop are phenomenal. They help to slow me down and think about what I'm doing. With birds/wildlife I definitely understand the value of AF and IS and have been renting a few to decide what works best for me and my budget as I do more of that. Oh, and my wife may -- just may -- have some input as well. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice looking bull here Ed. I agree with the above comments on highlights (especially tusks) and the colour looks a bit off to me too, perhaps just a tad too much yellow overall?
    I am not too fond of the crop but I suppose you were close and getting all the legs and trunk in wasn't on the cards.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Morkel, thanks. No crop. This was full frame as the boy was directly in front of the vehicle and on the move.