Thread: Attitude - Common loon display

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Attitude - Common loon display

Attached Images Attached Images

This fellow was imaged last month in northern Michigan. Because there were no chicks that hatched on this lake, the adults spent more time socializing with non resident loons. Groups of 7-8 were common, and on this morning there were 13 at one time, which is quite unusual in my experience. There is always a lot of cruising about, peering underwater, diving and popping up elsewhere, but almost all of the meetings end up with a wild rush of flapping, splashing and various types of displays, which in any other context would be signs of aggression/stress, but just seem to be part of their parties during these particular gatherings.

I normally shoot off a pedestal in my boat, but the action is so unpredictable and can come from any direction, so I went handheld for this outing.

D4, 500mm AFS f/4 1/1600s ISO 1250

Post: minor crop for alignment and comp. Selective sharpening. Softened the contrast in the bg a bit.

It is hard to get much detail in the feathers when they are so wet from all the splashing.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent angle, pose and detail Randy. I like the water splash in from of the bird and the colours are perfect.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My first thought was that there was less detail than I would expect, but you explained it. The splash in the foreground adds much interest as do the streaked droplets on the bird's head.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Spectacular image, Randy Sir. with apt title.Love the pose with nice wing spread. flash of water, beautiful colors and very nice panorama crop.

Regards,
    Satish.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, great low perspective here, and great that you captured a full wingspread. Well exposed, and the chest 'pushing' the water adds a lot to the overall image. Comp wise, if it were mine, I would have moved the loon over to the right a touch more and left more space on the left. Just a personal thing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy.... The "Loon Parties" are quite unpredictable, aren't they? Superb work of capturing a unique image with the wings partially submerged and with the Loon looking downward. (they seem mostly be looking skyward when they do wing flaps or similar body movements) Love the "push" of the water. The pano comp shows the strength and size of these incredible birds. Also love the bubbles and water movement on the right side. It's been a tough year for our favorite birds.
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent low angle shot, Randy! Awesome pose and action! The exposure is spot on! I really like the water splash. Very well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

very nice dynamic pose Randy
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Stuart - I appreciate your thoughts on the comp. I did a version with a bit more on the left and top and liked it.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton