Thread: Windy, Namibian Korhaan

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Windy, Namibian Korhaan

Name:  Korhaan,-Ruppel's--(Aus-to-Sossusvlei,-Southern-Namibia)-(Side-on)-SM-SH-E-BL-BPN.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  378.3 KB

This stereotypical namibian scene transports me back to the windy, colourful grasslands of this awesome country. It is a little different to my normal posts and may not be everyone's cup of tea but for the sake of nostalgia (and because I like it :)) I decided to see what you think.
    The korhaan in the image is a ruppel's korhaan (a female showing its black foreneck) and is a near endemic species to namibia, which favours the rugged, dry landscape that Namaibia offers in buckets.
    All comments are welcome (expecially if they are good ones... just kidding I value the critiques as much if not more :))
    Thanks for looking!

Date taken: 07 June 2013
    Photo details:
    ISO 320
    Shutter speed 1/1600
    F stop 6.3
    Exposure bias +0.3
    Canon 7D, 100 to 400 f5.6
    Sharpened for web, improved vibrancy, cloned/blurred out a distracting grass blade cutting across the korhaan's beak.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the setting (I'm a sucker for those pretty grasses, and the alert pose of the bird. Overall, the image seems a bit on the bright side, but I'm sure in your location it is difficult to avoid. Sharon

3. Thanks Richard Flack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did a nice job of getting a clean look at the face and neck. There seems to be a small bit of bright grass intersecting the bill that you might wish to evict.... Pulling the Curve down a bit would likely improve this, or maybe a slight reverse S Curves adjustment....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

5. Thanks Richard Flack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This one is all about the shape of the head and neck of this cool looking bird for me. The flowing grass highlights her well. I agree that the grass might be a tiny bit on the bright side but I wouldn't reduce the brightness of the bird. Cool looking frame Richard.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

7. Thanks Richard Flack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent shot! Love the exposure, composition and the colors! TFS

9. Thanks Richard Flack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments everyone! Appreciate it. (Will drag the curve down a little to mellow out the brightness)