Thread: The noble predator after the kill....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The noble predator after the kill....

Attached Images Attached Images

Another blackberry succumbs to Nature.

I shot this a week or so ago and didn't think I had gotten much of interest, but as I was doing some needed deleting I appreciated the noble look and decided to toss it out here, rather than tossing it out into the trash bin.

Canon 5D3, 600mm II, ISO 1600, 1/500 sec, f/14. Soft light from clearing fog, which kept changing and wasn't optimal for long. Big Gitzo, Wimberley II. Chair and coffee.

I'm guessing it's a juvenile male, just starting to grow the red breast feathers? I thought their color fit nicely with the remains of the meal.

Very minor tonal adjustments in LR5, and a quick trip to PS for NR on the BG and slight sharpening on the bird.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane,

I like the head turn, the Blackberry 'gore' on the beak, the nice BG and the coffee and chair reference. That's my sort of shoot! Details look good. F14 seems a bit unusual, I would have traded that for a little more speed but maybe you had your reasons..?

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb detail and cool pose with the 'gore' on beak and feathers as a plus. TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, guys! If the birds fill the frame, I want all the DOF I can get. The 300 focuses close enough I can get the birds pretty big by adding the 2X. I did neglect to say this was a horizontal cropped to vertical, with a little off the top. So I could have gone a little more open here, but I was also ready for action on a closer perch, where they would be bigger. With IS and the Wimberley, I'm usually safe at 1/400 to 1/500, if the bird doesn't twitch. Or I don't.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting reading of your use of DOF,I really like your finished result Diane, smart neat bird with great detail sitting on a nice backdrop.

Cheers Keith.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sucked me right in with that title! Excellent pose and details, despite drinking coffee!
    Sharon

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This could have been a very bland image but the details tie it all together. My eye kept going from the beak to the red feathers. I feel as if I am looking slightly upward toward the eye, could you move that stick down a touch in your set up? Well done, Diane.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you kept it, Diane. Lovely light, great detail, and a background to die for. Good title too. Could add back just a slivver on top?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose. T.red on the sides of the breast might be berry juice stains. Or not :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image Dianne. I like the pose and curved perch. The berry juices on the bill are an added plus that tell a story. Nice colors and detail with a perfect complimenting background.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely IQ, great perch and BG, I like the left overs on the beak... I would only suggest more space on top and bottom if you have it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice detailed shot of this bird. I like the pose and the BG and the techs look great too. A bit big in the frame but the only way shots like this work is with killer details like this. Nice work,
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent shot, Diane! Love the pose, details and BG! Excellent IQ as usual! TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The details on the subject are killer. The red on the beak make this gorey in a nice kind of way. Good composition and great BG

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb detail with a lovely background Diane. TFS