Thread: Young black skimmer

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Young black skimmer

I took this Thursday morning at Nickerson Beach as the sun was just coming up. Due to the protected area I could not get the sun at my back. I had to lighten an area at the top of its head. I left the imperfection on the head along with the hint of 2 adults in the background.

I never noticed the yellow under the wings before.

D800 with Nikon 800 lens. !/500 f/10 iso 900. Center focus point.

Name:  _EAB2148-Edit.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  329.9 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's fun to see the baby. Good job on the exposure with the sun not at your back. Was there a reason for the F10? BG was a bit busy and distracting and I think the image could benefit with a more shallow DOF. TFS. Loi

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting capture Allan. Nice early morning light. As you say, not the best angle and it would be nice to see something of the feet. Regards, Ian.

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fine shot here. I have been going to Nickerson for a long time now , so I can relate to the lighting challenges there. You handled this well. I think that the yellow seems a bit too saturated. I have seen this color before , but never this deep.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty neat about that yellow as the adults do get a very subtle yellow was in that area during peek mating season. Nice low angle, the vegetation adds a lot here. Good head angle. Too bad about the merge between wing and head. I'd for sure get rid of the black spot at top right edge, and see if I could tone down some near-hot patches of white. Well balanced comp, nice details.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see the little chap. Like the low angle. Agree with Loi in terms of less DOF to blur out the BG. TFS Allan!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting. I have never seen the yellow flanks on a chick of any age....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments. I selected the greens and blurred them a bit with gaussian blur. I tried a bit more but it did not look good. I also attempted to get rid of some of the black areas in the bg which were actually oof adult skimmers. To some people it may not appear I blurred it at all. I had used f/10 as I was fairly close to the bird with an 800 mm lens and was afraid of too small a depth of field.

The color, or yellow saturation, increased as I resized the image so I back off on the yellow saturation in PS.

Does this look any different?

Name:  _EAB2148-Edit.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  319.2 KB