Thread: 300m Vertical Pan Blur

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 300m Vertical Pan Blur

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created with the tripod-mounted 300mm f/2.8L IS II lens and the EOS-5D Mark III in early morning light near White, GA. They were planted at an I-75 exit.

ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop set manually: 1/5 sec. at f/22.

Why should I have been at ISO 50 or ISO 100 at most?

Don't be shy; All comments welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Shoot at low ISO/high f-stop to get a slow shutter speed. Or use a ND filter for even longer exposures. Do you shoot full frame and never crop, if so, I admire your skill in always getting that thin strip, top or bottom to frame your images. I like the vibrant colours and the change from warm to cooler colours add interest. I particularly like the three tulips LLC.

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love this one Artie. Ditto Jackie's response on ISO.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jackie and Cheryl. You both agree but did not answer my question :)..... Why should I have used a lower ISO (while staying at 1/5 sec.)??? For image like this I crop very little most of the time. Once I have a nice concept I take lots of images and work on timing the shutter release and adjusting the panning rate to control both top and bottom strips. And I did notice the three flowers llc and included them in my plan. If I remember correctly the bottom strip needed a bit of clean-up....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Read it too fast. Either noise then or colour saturation. I am guessing noise. A lower ISO would have produced a smoother looking image. Saturation though it is supposed to be better at a lower ISO could be adjusted in PP.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good tries but not those either :) Any differences would be microscopic at best.... Clue: what is the only difference if I stay at 1/5 sec. and use a lower ISO?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done with the clean bottom border. Vibrant colors with enough detail to identify the subject. In manual mode, dropping the iso would have gotten you to around f11-f8 which is likely the wheel house for your lens and camera.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Gary. Dropping the ISO would have enabled you to open up the aperture, which would have reduced your depth of field a bit, potentially contributing to the "blurred" quality of the image. By the way, the colors are a little too vibrant for me, but that may just be me. Overall, I love the image, especially its varying shades of pinks, and the contrast with the green stems.

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Uh, reduced potential impact of sensor dust (with wider aperture)?

-Michael-

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gary ellwein View Post
    Well done with the clean bottom border. Vibrant colors with enough detail to identify the subject. In manual mode, dropping the iso would have gotten you to around f11-f8 which is likely the wheel house for your lens and camera.

Yes, a much wider aperture but the wrong reason. The wheel house that you refer to deals only with sharpness but that is not an issue with blurs.... So keep thinking!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Kates View Post
    I agree with Gary. Dropping the ISO would have enabled you to open up the aperture, which would have reduced your depth of field a bit, potentially contributing to the "blurred" quality of the image. By the way, the colors are a little too vibrant for me, but that may just be me. Overall, I love the image, especially its varying shades of pinks, and the contrast with the green stems.
    Thanks. A version with toned down colors would likely work well. Yes on the wider aperture but I find that that does not effect the degree of blurring or the look of the image. There is a very good reason to create pleasing blurs at low ISOs especially when there is lots of light. But nobody has figured it out yet :).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gerald-Yamasaki View Post
    Uh, reduced potential impact of sensor dust (with wider aperture)? -Michael-
    Bingo! You will always be seeing a ton more dust bunnies at f/22 than at the wider apertures, and that especially includes the microscopic dust that is pretty much impossible to clean.... Well done.

15. Thanks Michael Gerald-Yamasaki thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, I like the blur effect and overall composition and balance, especially the way the lights dominate yet remain anchored by the darker region. Being able to control this "full frame" takes quite a bit of practice and a good eye. While the group of 3 is interesting, I also feel it's a bit distracting that close to the edge. The lower edge in general feels burnt due to color values, with an overall saturation that feels heavy, yielding an exaggerated blueish cast to my eyes. Appreciate the comments re: using aperture to control dust-not something I'd given much thought as I'm usually shooting more toward the wider end. Tried my hand at an interpretation toward the lighter end, with altered orange and red hues to create more of those darker flower heads.

Regards-RName:  20131013-Cosmos-vertical-pan-blur--_A1C2122--Old-Car-City,-White,-GA[2].jpg
Views: 144
Size:  339.4 KB

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow! This is stunning! Sharon

18. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very pleasing blur. I could see a version with the colors tones down just a little.

20. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Randall. Your version is way too washed out for me. I may post one toned down slightly but man, those colors were blasting that morning.

22. Thanks Randall Farhy thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It reminds me of a watercolor, I am still trying to master these blurs, some day's it works and the images are pleasing and other days it just looks like I took a blurry photo. Your image is pleasing to my eyes, love it

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Paul. Best advice--try soft light and take lots and lots of images!

25. Thanks Randall Farhy thanked for this post