Thread: Coalition

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Coalition

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks before the month ends i will just throw in another image for this month Theme.
    Got this two brothers ? close to Namoutoni in Etosha ,they just filled their stomach with a kill they had the night before and walked to the closest WH .
    Not much i want to do with the distracting grass in FG .

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
    Ef 500 IS L + 1,4 TC
    Window bracket + gitzo fluid head

F 8 ; Iso 1000 ; 1/1600 sec

Processed in DPP and PS CC ; cropped for comp and removed some stones

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas,

First of all, let me say this is one very interesting image I am intrigued by the lack of the tip of tail (standing lion) as well as the characters' colour in terms of fur/mane. I like this very much, even though somewhat I do feel - and forgive me if I am wrong - that it is a tad too warm, and too yellow - when it comes to the lions. The eye contact is just brilliant, there's a tension, and a curiosity on the part of the two males that any viewer will certainly enjoy, I am certainly very taken with that "frozen" look on their faces. Detail is all there and framing just right, this is nice and sharp, I cannot imagine a better crop and really the grasses are not distracting as far as I am concerned. Bits of blood here and there to prove their capability to kill and fend for themselves, gorgeous young males and look at that their belly index! Well executed as always Andreas, and since I have never been to Etosha I might be completely wrong about the colour of the lions' mane. I just love what you have captured and enjoyed viewing this, and I sincerely hope our October trip will give us some more lion sightings...

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - The comp, intense stares and poses really work well. Grasses don't bother me at all. Interesting about the tail, I'm not sure I would have noticed if Gabriela didn't point it out. I agree with Gabriela about the yellows and would drop them if it was mine. A minor point and easy fix for you but also personal preference.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, an Africa image from you!

Love the symmetry here with this pair and the bloody muzzle enhancing nicely. I'm happy with the colour and looks fitting to my eyes.
    I'm wondering why you haven't removed the FG grasses seeing as you removed some rocks? Not that I'm bothered with the FG grasses and is fine with me, it's just that the FG grasses
    would be fairly easy to remove as your ethics allowed this.
    Have seen a few lions with "no tail tip" and often happens when they are cubs, there is a well known huntress from the Ndutu pride in Sth Luangwa with no tip.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas

Great picture of these lions, and the intense eye contact is super. I agree with Marc on the grass, and the others on the other matters.

TFS / Gregor

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is an awesome & powerful image Andreas. Gabriela's keen observation has me intrigued about the missing tail. Must have lost it in a fight? Great eye contact!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

All I can say is: Exellent image. Etosha is special. Ben

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks folks for your comments , all are appreciated .
    I am not sure about the yellows ....... but you could be right , so RP covered that.
    Marc regarding the grass /stones , i deleted some stones right at the edges of the frame i did find them more distracting than the grass in front , i tried to remove them before posting but the result did not please me , so i decided to leave them in .

On that trip i saw at least 5 male lions with bitten off tails .Also a larger one that freshly has lost the tip of the tail.

Thanks again Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the RP, and after reading your comment above I am even more curious about the tip-of-the-tail biting habit. Hyenas do that to antelopes.

This image kind of stayed with me throughout the day, Andreas. There's something hypnotizing in the eyes of the lions, and I particularly like the one at the back, great to have their attention and be able to capture this. Hope you have more on these two boys?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice light and I like the water in front...The OOF gras is a little distracting but not too major. The blood on the faces add and the colours in the repost look better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post

On that trip i saw at least 5 male lions with bitten off tails .Also a larger one that freshly has lost the tip of the tail.

Wow, that's a large number someone had acess to a pair of tin snips me thinks!