Thread: Little owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little owl

This is from a third site I have found within a 6 mile radius of my original site ,shot was taken with a bag hide and handheld with a 400mm 5.6 ,I took a gamble manoeuvring to get the composition I wanted with the bird on the edge of the wooden perchLittle owl 26th August by den9112, on Flickr Image taken on: Tue Aug 26, 2014 14:01
    Focal length: 400 mm
    Shutter speed: 1/1000 sec
    Aperture: f/5.6
    ISO speed: 400
    White-balance: Manual
    Flash: No
    Camera make: Canon
    Camera model: EOS-1D Mark IV
    Lens: EF400mm f/5.6L USM
    Exposure mode: Aperture priority
    Exposure compensation: +2/3 EV
    Metering mode: Pattern
    Little owl 26th August by den9112, on Flickr
    Last edited by dennis greenwood; 08-26-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm liking the new setups Den, this one is particularly clean, and shows a nice natural perch. Details look spot on - nice simple effective shot

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your background is sublime, and I am loving the pose here. Wish the light were a little more evenly distributed on the owl's face, but I can see you had side lighting. Your perch works well.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dennis, Sharp with a nice BKGR. You did relatively well with the side light. The hand of man perch is less than ideal..... If the bird frequents that same perch you might try taping a nice branch in place and see if it takes to that.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi , Thanks for the comment ,the perch were the bird is located is part of a disused array of farmland equipment(I didn't set up this image), this is my second site and although on my first site I do place perches etc were I can easily get the birds to land ,I just wanted a location were everything around the bird is in his territory...this shot was taken only a couple of days after locating them, I am hoping to get the birds confidence in time for winter for some snow shots ,as my first location is on higher ground and this one is a little lower and would be more accessible in winter....lets hope I can post some little owl in the snow shots as this would be a challenge as the birds go in survival mode at the end of October and I very rarely see them as much during the day.