Thread: Heron riding back of submerged hippo

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Heron riding back of submerged hippo

Attached Images Attached Images

There is a water point called Sunset dam just north of the Lower Sabi River Camp in the Kruger National Park. THERE IS ALWAYS AMAZING bird and animal action throughout the day here especially during the winter period. Spent much of my time here during my daily forays into the park over a 2 1/2 week period this past July.

A lot of the cats frequent the surrounds of the Sabi River and this area is superb for leopard and lion sightings amongst many others. So one could dabble at the dam shooting away merrily while a buddy with radio contact would keep you updated on anything interesting

There were a lot of herons around and most would sit on the backs of hippo hopping from one to another until the hippo got annoyed and reared up and down or snorted and blasted water at it.

Most often, as in this image, the heron would ride along on the back of a submerged hippo and wait for an opportunity to catching fish coming by as the hippo moves through shoals of tilapia.

Here the heron is facing backwards whilst the hippo moves from right to left underwater as can be seen, hopefully, by the wake of the birds legs. I captured the attempt here by the heron to snatch a fish as can be seen by the river of droplets. The dam seemed to be teeming with fish and that is why the feeding frenzy of animals and birds alike was a constant frenzy of action at the time.

I need more room all round as this was almost FF so it was difficult to comp without adding canvas.

PSCC - levels, curves, sat, NR

1D Mk iv
    canon 300mm f2,8 L IS USM + 2 X extender
    ISO 800 - F8 - 1/2000 sec - = 0,3 EV - AP

C&C always welcomed. Thank you

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting story to compliment a very fine image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Carl, was in kruger for a week in July ( 20th onwards ) so I can relate to this behaviour as I witnessed it first hand too. I like the raised wings, good feather detail, and well timed to catch the trailing water from the bill.

We didnt see any cats for the whole week we were there.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Stu and Joe. Yeah same time as me Stu. Can't believe you never saw any. In one morning from Croc bridge to Nkuhlu there were 9 separate sightings. Thats like a distance of 45 odd kms. I know there is a high density of leopard there but that is a lot. I saw 4 of those but none of them were great sightings.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose and light Carl. Nice IQ and PP work. Maybe for my taste more space all around but thats minor...Great droplets off the beak.

6. Thanks Carl Walker thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image in nice lights. Very nice action captured. Love the colors, details, droplets trail from the beak and composition too.

Regards,
    Satish.

8. Thanks Carl Walker thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice story and a good looking frame to go along with it. The techs look great and I like the water coming from the bill. Well done.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

10. Thanks Carl Walker thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very interesting behavior. Sharp with a perfect EXP. Nice light. If you had been able to move ten yards to your right and excellent image would have been that much better. Anybody know why?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent behavior shot. I sure wish it were mine. Nice sharpness and exposure. I would also enjoy a shot were part of the Hippo was visible. A stab at Art's question. As presented with the heron facing to the right, the shot is past perpendicular, Moving to the right would give the angle of the bird moving toward the viewer, despite the fact that he is actually moving backward in this case.
    An excellent post and story.
    Robert Kimbrell

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Robert, You are on the right track. But not quite there yet.... When you say that the shot is past perpendicular do you mean that the bird is angled away from the viewer?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hi Robert, You are on the right track. But not quite there yet.... When you say that the shot is past perpendicular do you mean that the bird is angled away from the viewer?
    Yes Art, That is what, I was meaning. Although a lovely shot, I agree moving the camera to the right would have made an even a stronger image.
    Robert Kimbrell

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Robert. What I was driving at is that if he moved to the right he would not only have better parallelled the subject but he would have been more on light angle. That would have eliminated the shadow of the near-wing on the back of the bird's neck....