Thread: Little owls on hay bale

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little owls on hay bale

Attached Images Attached Images

As they grow they begin to venture further from the comfort of the surrounding they grew up in and so it's now the hay bale.

This is Dad with youngster No 2, although I have a sneaking suspicion this could well be a 'marmite' image because when you spend so much time you can often read more into images/shots and lose site overall, just trying something different here. I just like sometimes where juxtaposition of objects come into play, where Dad is sharp, but in fact it's the eye and raised foot of the youngster that grabs me. Wether it works or not the Jury has the vote, so lets see, but you have to try things and explore ideas & concepts otherwise things do get stale IMHO.

Thank you to those who viewed & commented on the Little owl in flight image.

Steve

Subject: Little owlets on hay bale (Athene noctua)
    Camera: Canon 1DX
    Lens: 200-400f/4 Gitzo tripod/Uniqball head
    Exposure: 1/1250s at f/5.6 ISO1600
    Original format: Landscape

A little BKG colour blown in where the highlights were a fraction strong as this is a nature hedge behind.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, this is so cool. I like the juxta-posed heads, the soft light and interaction of the owls. You are getting some great images of Owls with the 200-400 & that Uniqball head! Now I want those two in my Kit

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve:

The very close alignment of the eyes makes this work for me. There is just enough tonal and sharpness separation to keep the birds distinct but compatible.

I like it! Here is to trying new approaches and ideas

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve it's interesting reading about trying something different and how different people will view this, think it would be hard to find any fault with the IQ and colour of the bird in the foreground ,your usual very high standard, like the way your thinking.
    Cheers Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, well thoughtout and captured, as I really like the way the eyes of both owls 'join' together. ( the right eye of the one against the left eye of the other. ) Lovely soft light.