Thread: DOWITCHER

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default DOWITCHER

Attached Images Attached Images

During the fall migration, I hunker down in cover over looking a small strip of mud. The spot is small enough that all that land are within range. This bird was one of three. I had the rare experience of having a subject too close for the auto focus ( at full ). I am not certain whether this is a short or long-bill. The image was captured mid August in SE Idaho.
    Nikon D7000, Nikkor 600mm, f6.3, 1/250, iso 400. C&C appreciated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely but this is a way better bird than a dowitcher. It is a Common Snipe (or at least that is the old name....) It is amazing to get such a clean view of one and you made the most of it by creating a wonderful image. You might want to lose the one tiny dark stick sticking up into the top of the bird's right leg. And maybe tone down the two dark spots in the BKGR in front of the bird with a 40% Clone Stamp Tool.... Love to you both.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gary
    I was about to say that it looks so much like our Snipe !! Great shot . If anything looks a little "crunchy/contrasty on my gear but could be my montor. No big deal.
    Cheers
    JohnR

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Artie and John, thanks for the proper Id. Since childhood, this species has been suppressed in my psyche. On my first campout as a cub scout, a cadre of malicious adult had small children in the dead of night wandering the Black Hills of South Dakota hunting for snipe. We were equipped with burlap sacs and a flashlight. The key to success was imitating the call of the snipe, Owa tana siam. Need I say more.

All I had to do was turn the page in my edition of Sibley's. Love to you and Denise.
    Last edited by gary ellwein; 08-22-2014 at 09:47 PM.

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great job getting one in the open!

Looks a bit crunchy/oversharpened to me as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image of this snipe Gary! Not easy to get them this accommodating. Like the BG and super detail!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great detail even the horizon and sky reflection in the eye!