Thread: What IS mode for panning (Canon lens)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default What IS mode for panning (Canon lens)

Was just wondering what the best IS mode to be in for shooting running shore birds or running rodents would be? I only have mode 1 or 2 available on my lens (canon 100-400mm 5.6). Thanks

-Dave

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mode 2 is for panning
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mode 1 will always try to correct for lens shake or movement in both horizontal and vertical directions. Therefore, if you are intentionally panning, this can work against you.

Mode 2 will behave exactly like Mode 1 unless and until the camera detects that you are panning. If it detects that you are panning in a given direction, it will automatically disable any attempts by the IS to correct for movement in that direction.

Given the above, many recommend just leaving the IS in Mode 2 all of the time since there is really no downside and you don’t have to remember to switch back and forth.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks,

Here are two follow up questions if you don't mind. 1) At faster shutter speeds is there even a need for IS (lets say 1/1000th)? 2) if I am panning hand held following a slower moving squirrel and I am in mode 2 if the squirrel jumps on a rock and freezes (lets say my shutter speed is on the slower side; around 1/350th) do I need to switch to mode 1 or would mode 2 still work fine.

Dave

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

1) I don't know of any downside of having IS on so I leave it on all the time.

2) No need to switch to Mode 1 in this scenario. In Mode 2, once you stop panning, the IS will immediately revert to Mode 1 behavior. I leave the IS in Mode 2 all the time.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Even at higher shutter speeds IS is useful as it steadies the image in the viewfinder for easier tracking purposes when doing bird in flight photography.

Since Mode 2 works just as Mode 1 save for panning (thus making it logical to just keep it there) then why would Canon bother to have different modes at all? Just wondering out loud here...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Since Mode 2 works just as Mode 1 save for panning (thus making it logical to just keep it there) then why would Canon bother to have different modes at all? Just wondering out loud here...
    I have wondered the same thing since first reading Chuck Westfall's explanation of how Mode 2 works. One theory might be that the early IS lenses that did not have a switch behaved like Mode 1 so they left that behavior for compatibility. Another might be that when they came up with the technology for Mode 2, they made it a different mode for marketing reasons to emphasize that it was something new. Neither theory makes all that much sense to me but that's the best I can come up with.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Milicia View Post
    I have wondered the same thing since first reading Chuck Westfall's explanation of how Mode 2 works. One theory might be that the early IS lenses that did not have a switch behaved like Mode 1 so they left that behavior for compatibility. Another might be that when they came up with the technology for Mode 2, they made it a different mode for marketing reasons to emphasize that it was something new. Neither theory makes all that much sense to me but that's the best I can come up with.
    IS Mode 1 is necessary when the photographer is shooting a stationary subject from a moving platform, e.g. shooting from helicopter.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I always left it in mode 1 (unless on tripod I turn it off) I guess I will have to give mode 2 a shot and see the results.