Thread: Flowers for ETL

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Flowers for ETL

Greetings. It's been a while since I've posted here (been camping out in OOTB). I find myself somewhat lost when it comes to photographing flowers and am interested in folks in ETL have to say.

Name:  _DSC0419-Edit-3.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  314.6 KB

D810 300f/2.8 + TC20EIII (600mm, er, out for birding) f/11 1/4000 ISO3200 Bright morning sun
    NR, sharpening, a little saturation.

Interested to hear what you have to say. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

-Michael-

2. Thanks WillieHall thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I say, Wow! Love it -- very nice! Great start with the new camera. And if this was in full sun you have found some dynamic range magic.

Lovely colors with the soft golden browns and greenish-blues (or are they bluish greens?) with silver touches. Beautiful detail on the fine hairs. Some people might not care for the OOF leaves on the left but to me they feel like a framing element, as the color and tonality are not distracting. And that one leaf (or whatever the anatomy is) reaching out to them unifies them with the flower.

The BG left of the flower might be simpler -- that would be my only criticism.

Does this thing bloom further than this stage? Looks fascinating. From the Arboretum?
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 07-30-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Diane,

Thanks much for your comment. I took this at the UC Santa Cruz Arboretum. This is from the Australian section (I'll have to get the name the next time I'm there, maybe later today). This flower will blossom to a huge bloom with each of the corn kernel like parts above pushing out on a two-inch stalk. And after it turns brown the seed pods push out and it looks like a strange cluster of clams. I kid you not. I'll post some of these later stages as I get some good shots. They are visited by hummers but only as a 3rd or 4th choice of the garden (hummer heaven).

Cheers,

-Michael-

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Would love to see more of this amazing thing. Australia and S. Africa have the most amazing flowers!

Sounds like the new camera was a good creative investment.