Thread: Loons sitting on nests - how long will they keep it up?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Loons sitting on nests - how long will they keep it up?

Normal incubation for common loons is 26-31 days. The pair in a local pond have been on their nest for about 43 days. Would you say there is a chance for hatching or are they and I suffering from just wishful thinking?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry about the misspelling. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

They will usually leave the nest if the eggs aren't viable.... so 43 days would be really odd. The only explanation I can come up with is that something may have happened to the first clutch, so the Loons may have re-nested. This is REALLY late in the year to still be on-nest.
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

4. Thanks allanrube thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The loon chicks on this lake seem to hatch 2-3 weeks later than the surrounding lakes. I agree it is really late, however, but I won't give up hope if the parent's haven't.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is interesting as I've just stumbled upon a loon sitting on a nest too - one egg in it. Not sure if it has just started incubating or not though but in any manner I thought to myself it is quite late in the season!

On a related note. I stumbled upon that nest accidentally near my folks' cottage and the loon dove into the water as I turned around the corner of a small island where I did not know it was (this is not the same loon I posted recently, but perhaps the mate). My question - how sensitive are these nests...I'd say there are 2-3 kayaks/canoes that pass by that spot everyday, likely enough to elicit a "lay-low" behaviour from the loon sitting on the nest. Should I worry that this is enough for it to abandon the nest?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have had loons on nests get a bit agitated (calling out) if I turned a corner and suddenly was upon a nest. This nest is close to shore and people can get close on land. I think a lot of people have been "too close" to this nest but the loons don't seem to mind.
    I think it is an individual case. I would err on the side of caution.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Allan... will be interesting to know if you get a hatch. Keep us updated. Since you are closer to their wintering grounds than we are here in the midwest, a late hatch may still work. I monitor the Loons where I live on a lake. Ice-Out here was late this year due to the harsh winter. On top of that, the lake levels are up 2 feet... which submerged the historical nesting site. Loons did nest on an alternate island. (the usual hatch is between early June and mid-July).

First nest wasn't until May 23... unfortunately, was washed out due to high-speed wake. Loons hung out and renested on June 19...same island but a different spot.... and, Daniel... glad you posted on kayaks ... second nest was interfered with by kayakers beaching their kayaks on the island.... then tromping over to see "the birdies", which caused them to abandon that nest. (we had put in a sign, but guess the folks couldn't read.) Even in the water, for some reason, the Loons are very frightened by kayaks and canoes (I think it's the shape and and paddles.) They don't mind paddle-boats or even pontoons and will often come close just to say "Whass-up?". I, too, err on the side of caution, but others often don't. The Loons here have already given up possession of the lake and are only here sporadically.
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys, for sure erring on the side of caution is best indeed. Good thing is that if I go around the small island contrary to the direction I usually do it I can see the loon's nest from far away so I can track the progress whenever I'm there (which is not often unfortunately) My father loves nature and is more than willing to update me on it thankfully. Sandy, I'm glad to hear about the paddle boats as that is my main mode of transportation at my parents' cottage.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good going, Daniel. Paddle boats are great... especially the Pelicans. Your father sounds like a great guy. The more space we give them initially, the better photo ops we have as they get to know us. Their curiosity, intelligence, dedication and beauty never cease to amaze me. Indeed, very special birds.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I went to the lake on Wednesday. The nest was abandoned, which did not surprise me. However, I paddled around the entire lake and did not see a single loon. In the past, when nests have failed the adults stuck around till fall. This was the first time in 7 years I did not see a loon on the lake during the summer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry to hear about the nest failure, Allan. Bummer. Often, when this happens, the Loons will form loose "bachelor groups".... and visit other lakes, periodically returning to the nesting lake to hang out for awhile. Ours have been doing that for the past month. They also host "Loon Parties" ... Had a party of 10 here the other day... All started screeching at once. I thought they were angry at each other till I looked up and saw two Bald Eagles blasting low over the lake.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The one I wanted to keep track of has been abandoned, too. The loons did stay on the lake though, like they do every year. Bummer, as I was looking forward to seeing the little one progress.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I feel for what you are saying. In the last 6 years the loons on this pond had successful seasons only twice. I am still looking for my baby on the back of the parent shot. :)