Thread: Canada Warbler

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canada Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

This canada warbler was photographed last month in Northern Minnesota, near Lake Superior. Audio was used as an attractant. The perch is naturally occuring.
    Canon7d, Sigma50/500os, iso800, 1/200, cropped, NR to the bg, USM to the subject and perch, lightened the catchlight in the bird's eye ever so lightly.
    Comments and critiques welcome.....Shooting conditions were foggy with a little slight diffused sunlight at times.
    Regards,
    Shawn Zierman.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Shawn,
    Excellent image. Very nice alert pose, beautiful colors, nice details and superb composition.
    I like the placement of warbler in the frame.If mine would remove tiny branch next to main perch in LRC.

Regards,
    Satish.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Shawn, Satish described your image perfectly. Well done on a great capture

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice image Shawn.
    I like the vertical composition and the diagonal line of the perch that leads the eye up to the warbler.
    Nice mottled BG.
    IQ is spot on.
    I think I am seeing a slight magenta cast on the bird's darker plumage.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Overall I see really good work here and you have had some good advice. Nothing more to add from me. Well done. Regards, Ian.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet shot of this beautiful little warbler; usually not one to give such a handsome pose in the open. Lovely comp. +1 to suggestions from Satish and Gail. Wish I had this in my files.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback peeps....What's a quick down and dirty way to remove a magenta cast?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Zierman View Post
    Thanks for the feedback peeps....What's a quick down and dirty way to remove a magenta cast?
    Put the entire image in an adjustment layer. In the Adjustments/Color Balance menu, slide the Magenta/Green slider a point or two toward green and see if you like the change. At least that's how I do it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Bill...Gave it a whirl and I do see and like the difference...I can see the point about removing the branch in the lower right corner, but really don't mind it, because it "flows" with the direction of the main perch, and the perch was not set up anyway, so I'm less critical of it I guess :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not seeing much change between the original and this one. Wonderful perch and bird. I prefer not removing stray elements, but that one in the lower right would be a goner were this my frame. Everything is so sharp and in focus with the exception of that, and for that reason I do find it distracting. Just my 2 cents! Plus you have the "Y" shape at the top, echoed by the one at the bottom and that stray branch destroys them as a compositional element.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

"Destroys"...I doubt it, and it must not, or you would not have noticed it in the first place :) ...not meant to be snarky...just sayin :) ....maybe (detracts) ?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Shawn, it's your picture. You like that stick, you leave it in.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many ways to skin a cat, but another easy way to remove a cast in this case is to go to Hue-Saturation and remove the saturation from the magenta channel. I love this technique for magenta and bluish casts (when those casts are not anywhere else but on the subject/perch).

Awesome subject here, one that I have seen a few times but never had the pleasure to photograph. Excellent vertical composition, nice BG, and the pose looks likethe subject was either just about to start singing (or just finished doing so).
    Last edited by Daniel Cadieux; 07-29-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Shawn, great choice of comp for this pose and perch, and always love yellow's and grey's together. You have brought out the finer plumage detail so well, and good DOF throughout the image.

To remove the magenta cast, I always go with Dan's method too, so easy to do. Here is my version with the cast removed - I didnt even select anything, just removed the saturation from the magenta channel, thus working itself on the perch and part of the warbler.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabulous shot, Shawn! Love the composition, perch, pose, BG, light and details! TFS

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot excellent pose and details. I would leave the little twig there, it looks natural if removed the image could look a little too perfect if you get my drift.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot with great background, soft light and fantastic colors. I like the perch and the raised head.
    The diagonal line of the branch is also great.

Markus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

very nicely composed i like the repost
    sweet colours and lovely IQ
    BG is superb too, love the details

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A bit late but had to stop by to mention that I really like this one Shawn. The pose on this little beauty looks great and the overall colors and exposure are right on the money. A nice angled branch, I dont mind the little one on the right, and an awesome mottled green BG really set this frame off nicely. That diffused light brought out the detail in the head well. One of my Faves from your posts lately!!