Thread: Frog Gully Cottage

Forum Participant Leigh Cojocar's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Frog Gully Cottage

Attached Images Attached Images

This passed weekend we had rented a cottage in the East Gippsland of Vic Aus. It was a beautiful cabin that had a bird feeder on the front lawn along with a old tree for the birds to use as a perch. We had lots of different birds visit the feeder and I spent a couple hours each morning taking pictures from the deck. At one point we had 22 cockatoo's at the feeder. I got at least 2 dozen pictures I can finally say I am very proud of.

I posted this pictures because I can't figure out what type of bird it is....Its hard to search for birds when just having a picture for reference.

This is also the first time I've been very impressed with what the Tamron lens can do when using a tripod and having a decent amount of light to work with. I never thought I would get pictures this sharp at the longer end of the zoom.

Canon 60D, Tamron 150-600 @ 552mm f8.0 1/250, ISO 800 with a tripod.

Adjustments in LR, minor crop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Leigh, i was curious to see the feedback on the tamron, looks a nice lens. I can`t ID this species, as for the image itself i like the posse, the detail and the bg seems ok, just would have changed the crop in order do take the bird off center as is looking to the right.

By the way the wb seems a bit magenta here, do you notice this? or maybe its my laptop screen.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can't help with ID but agree with Luis on a different crop. The bird is quite small in the frame without much to balance it. It does look nicely sharp and detailed -- credit goes to the lens and the AF.

It is on the thin side -- overexposed. That's good for the capture, but you need to bring the exposure down in raw conversion. (And maybe your monitor isn't showing it accurately. How does the stepwedge at the bottom of this page look? You should be seeing all the tones separated the same amount.) That will boost colors a little, too.

LR will let you go much further than what you have here. Don't neglect the Temp and Tint sliders, for maximizing color. Saturation is the last thing to do -- Vibrance can be a nice touch after all else is done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is this a bit better? I adjusted both the WB and the Tint slider along with bringing down the exposure. I struggle with WB and tint adjustment. Unfortunately the picture was only cropped from the top so there isn't anymore room on the right hand side.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Better but I'd go further. (No idea what your monitor may be showing though.)

No need for more on the right -- crop top, bottom and left a little. Do some Shadow and Highlight adjustment in LR if you haven't already maxed it out.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't know if its my monitor or what but if I move the tint anymore the whole pictures looks really green and same with the temp looking to orange/yellow.

I have now maxed out the Shadows and Highlights and adjusted the crop.
    Last edited by Leigh Cojocar; 07-23-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Temp and Tint are very sensitive. They need a vernier scale. You can enter numbers on the right for finer control.

How many folks here know why there are those sliders for color and not the RGB we are used to? Because ACR / LR is working in LAB mode behind the scenes.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry -- I'm on my iPhone and didn't see the repost. Much better!!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird is a Grey Shrike-thrush (Colluricincla harmonica).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    Sorry -- I'm on my iPhone and didn't see the repost. Much better!!
    No worries, and thank you for your help. I actually think since this picture i've been able to go back through my catalog and adjust a few pictures that were to magenta. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention, or I just didn't know what to look for lol.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bennett View Post
    The bird is a Grey Shrike-thrush (Colluricincla harmonica).
    Thank you!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not noticing a magenta cast (often slight) is probably the most common color issue I see. It's a learning process, like all the rest of this stuff!