Thread: Snow Bunting (male in breeding plumage)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snow Bunting (male in breeding plumage)

Attached Images Attached Images

Nothing show stopping here but I haven't seen a snow bunting in breeding plumage on BPN recently and thought I would share.
    Barrow, Alaska 2014 with Matthew Studebaker's workshop. Bird was called in to set-up.
    Canon 1DX600mm and 1.4x
    ISO 800 F 5.6 SS 1/800
    PP: Crop to 70 % FF, levels, DE at 2% to bird and USM to JPEG.
    Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice setup, pose and excellent details, Gail. I would try to brighten (linear doge) the eye up if it were mine. I wish it were.

Forum Participant
    North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed, i've yet to see one in breeding plumage, you could tweak the eye a bit as Karl mentioned but as a whole, i wouldn't change much.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot Gail! Great exposure, colour balance, details, and perch! I think the eye is fine, but a tiny bit of dodging in the highlight wouldn't hurt.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird and I love the lichen covered perch. Did you get any with more of a side profile?
    Just being super nit-picky, and easy for me to say from the comfort of my arm chair, but I think I'd have pushed the ISO (and/or traded some SS if on a tripod) for more DOF here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely colours in this Gail, and a wonderful species. The perch is pretty special as well! Agree that some of the whites have blown a touch - nothing a bit of dodging wouldn't fix....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I see you have had a lot of advice here but I think you have done a nice job with what you had to work with. I especially like the lichen-covered perch and background gradation. Regards, Ian.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Spectacular image with very nicely balanced colors in the frame. Love the handsome bird with nice pose,beautiful and colorful perch, wonderful Bg and composition.

Regards,
    Satish.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a darling bird and super image. Love that perch and its colors really help to showcase your bird. Super exposure and details in your bird.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Breeding plumage is quite lovely! The perch is solid with some great texture and color. I wonder if you could have been just a little bit higher for your shooting angle, and it would have been even better if the bird had moved up a bit on the perch and shown it's left foot more...DOF seems just a bit shallow at this working distance too...but those are things said without knowing just how "cooperative" this little fellow was...maybe the moment was fleeting...Ahh, now I just read Sidarth's comment about DOF and it seems there is an echo in here...in here... in here... :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thats a great looking frame Gail. I really like the lichen covered rock with the contrast of the white bird. The techs look good to me and I dont show any clipping on the whites. All around, a very nice frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I only ever get to see them in winter plumage here, although sometimes in HUGE numbers...I'd so love to see one in breeding plumage! I like the image a lot, and the yellow lichens on the perch really add a lot of nice colour here. I guess a bit more dof would be good here, but more for the perch than for the subject as it is sharp where it needs to be.