Thread: Busy Puffin

BPN Viewer
    Germany: close to Frankfurt or close to Munich
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Busy Puffin

Long time no post ...
    Finally, after thinking about it for quite a while i had the opportunity to go to Farne Islands in the UK to "shoot" Puffins.
    Luckily the weather was not typically british - instead i had severe trouble with burnt highlights (as you can see)
    5Diii + 2x EFIII, 1/800s, ISO 200, F8
    Processing: just a bit exposure reduction, sharpening.

Please tell me what you think.

BR
    Markus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Markus,

The bright sun had nothing to do with blown highlights. Learn to evaluate the histogram, check for blinkies, and work in manual mode and you will never blow another WHITE when it counts.....

Sharp with a nice catch of fish but the bird is centered and there are lots of distractions in the BKGR.

Sorry that we did not see you there.

Best advice: get yourslef a copy of ABP II and study the sections on Exposure Simplified and Composition.....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cute subject, and I like the many fish in its bill. Ditto Artie about the exposure, but I realize the blacks would have been blocked to avoid blown whites...these high contrast plumages can be a tough compromise! Flash can really help, but I realize some spots have restrictions with the use of flash (which would have helped with the eye here). If this is un-cropped than flipping your gear to take a vertical image of this individual would have been best.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific job on capturing the puffin with a mouthful of food!!! You have a lot of nice details in your feathers and a great pose. I would have preferred your bird not be in the middle of the image. I would have put the bird in the left side of the frame since it is pointing for the right. If you have any space on top, I think I'd try for a vertical here.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Germany: close to Frankfurt or close to Munich
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for all the response.
    I fully agree with center position - as it's not cropped i still could put the puffin more to the left.
    Regarding the flash, i haven't checked if it allowed there or not as i simply did not think about taking the flash and better beamer with me.