Thread: Galapagos tips for a first-timer, anyone?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Galapagos tips for a first-timer, anyone?

I posted this question elsewhere, but thought some might have some additional insight. I'm going to the Galapagos with a photo-group (NSN) the first week of November and have never really been on a photo expedition abroad before and this is my first (hopefully not my only) trip to the archipelago. I would love suggestions as to what I should bring, what I should leave behind, etc. (photography stuff and anything else you have to offer a neophyte). I've pretty much decided to leave my 500/4 home, but is that a mistake? (I have a 400/5.6 and a 70-200/2.8 II as well as a 17-50/2.8 and a 10-20/4.5-5.6 and shoot a crop-body 7D). I plan on bringing a second body. If the 7D2 is out in time, that's on my radar, or I will rent something else for the trip. I am also bringing my small Panasonic underwater P&S. I may bring a monopod, but don't plan on bringing my tripod unless I change my mind and bring the 500. I read somewhere that flash isn't allowed, so I was planning to leave that behind. From what I understand, the flights from Quito to Baltra limit you to about 40 lbs. Any thoughts on this or other things?

Thanks in advance.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No one?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Try this site for some good info:
    http://www.bythom.com/photographic-t...ica/galapagos/