Thread: Peeling Manzanita Bark

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Peeling Manzanita Bark

Attached Images Attached Images

I was trying to catch up here and left a few comments earlier today. What I really wanted to do was go to every post and say how incredible it is -- I'm completely blown away, and embarrassed to post anything, but I'm going to toss this out anyway. Out here in the dry western US, a paper-thin layer of the bark of the Manzanitas (at least what we see as the common native variety -- there are several species) and Madrones peels away to reveal a lovely greenish underlayer. The designs are very interesting, but it's a challenge to crop to a design with simple edges.

Canon 5D3, ISO 800, 1/200 at f/16, Sigma 180 macro, on-camera Speedlite with Lumiquest Big Bounce, which gives about an 8 inch square diffusion screen that is centered maybe 8 inches above the lens, so you get some softening of the shadows. It was very shady and shooting with ambient light was too flat for my tastes. And with the working distance of the 180, the Canon Ringlite is too flat, even with the ratio set for as much difference as you can get. I think it would work better with a 100mm macro if you want any definition. I'll try this again tomorrow and hold a larger diffusion screen about a foot in front of the Lumiquest. THAT will give soft shadows.

I would like to shoot focus stacks but the ground is soft with years of leaf mold. Might try weighting the tripod but I have my doubts.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautifully framed and executed. I love the patterns and the colors.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane,
    I really like this with the abstract designs here and the colors. As you say, finding a way to lessen some of the shadowing may help the image but this is a winner as is for me.

Allen

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, guys! I'll be revisiting this tree and a companion madrone -- they're about 100 ft from the house. Just posted a madrone from this morning. Giving folks an alternative to bugs...