Thread: CPAP machine for travel to Africa and beyond with 30lb weight limits

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default CPAP machine for travel to Africa and beyond with 30lb weight limits

crazy place to ask but so many of us travel to the outer reaches of the world where small planes fly...and have a 30lb weight restriction on luggage. That is normally not a problem but when you add a CPAP machine to the mix, it can be difficult. Looking at some of the profile pics, I am not the only senior traveling so surely some folks take their CPAP machines and have recommendations. Would appreciate the input

Steve Uffman

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I started CPAP in Feb 2013. I must say I have never even considered taking the machine when I travel. Too much weight, too much bulk, and the problem of trying to procure purified water in remote areas in Africa and Brazil.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Joe, I bring the cpap machine to plug in the snorers so I can get some sleep...not really but a thought.....on a more serious note .I see a lot of folks travel with them as they make some that are very small but they use without the humidifier.....several under 2 lbs....although when they give you that spec they aren't including the brick that goes with the power cord....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I am 52, 6ft 6inches, 290 lbs, I've snored since I can remember. I just started using a CPAP machine in the last 7 years, although I've not used it as frequently in the last 2 as I should. I've never traveled with it, I've wanted too, just never did. With all of the questions the TSA ask everyone it is one more burden to bear, at least for me anyway. What I do instead is sleep at an angle, with pillows under my shoulder, raising my upper body. I sleep better and hardly snore at all in that position. I am losing weight in the neck area, eat better, that has done more for me than the CPAP has done. When you arrive at a solution, let us know. I am sure some might benefit from it. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Grady, I am actually trying the machine I bought for regular use on the road this weekend.....My first machine was huge, this one without the humidifier is 6in x 5.5in x 3.25 in and weights 1.79 lbs without the battery cord and brick. very quiet and I am using a nasal pillow instead of a mask. The humidifier is about the same size but I am not taking it with me in this experiment-plus who knows when you can get distilled water. Its a S9 by Resmed. all folds up pretty small. I too am trying to get the weight off that creeps up when you get past 60 and it wasn't long ago that my weight was down and snoring minimal....I figure if I can eliminate the need to use it for myself, I will bring it and plug in whomever is snoring keeping the rest of us awake.....

I have looked at the machines made specifically for traveling and they are not much less weight than the S9 and they don't have the humidifier....S9 designed so you can take just the main part and not the addl bulk or weight of the other.