Thread: Elton John of the Bird World - Ruff

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Elton John of the Bird World - Ruff

Attached Images Attached Images

I have travelled to Europe at least 25 times in the last 40 years. Having been born in Italy with lots of family to visit, frequent trips were required. Over the last 50 or so years since I've been a birdwatcher, the last 20 seriously, there was one bird in my guide, I've always wanted to see, that was a Ruff.

During breeding season the male Ruff has a bare colorful face patch, head tufts and a collar of ornamental feathers. These feathers can be red, black or white. All of these are lost during non-breeding season.

Until now this bird has evaded me but on a recent trip to Tromso, Norway, I finally caught up with a breeding male. Below is it's image. Now to find one in the ABA area.

I used Fotosketcher V 2.85, to create a painted look, then sandwiched the original with the painted version to get the desired look.

More photos from my recent trips can be viewed at my blog below, some cool stuff there more to come over the coming days.

Thanks for viewing
    Last edited by Paul Lagasi; 06-22-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one amazing looking bird Paul. It looks like he is wearing a wig and a high collar! Great processing and colours.

3. Thanks Paul Lagasi thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, Paul, it looks like a lady in the Elizabethan courts The choice of processing and the frame are perfect for the image. I need to check out your blog!

5. Thanks Paul Lagasi thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Paul, I like the look and even the frame. I am, however, hugely envious. When I was strictly a birder I used to go to a marsh near Philadelphia where as many as 6 breeding plumage Ruffs stopped each year in March. Way to far away for photographs but a site to see. I found a fresh juvenile Reeve (female Ruff) at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in Queens, NY on September 25, 1985, the same year that I found NY State's first Red-necked Stint in July, but did not get a chance to photograph either one!

I have seen a few more Ruffs over the years on arctic trips but have never had a decent chance. Almost forgot that I saw and photographed some post breeding molting adults when I went to my daughter Alissa's wedding in Nukus, Uzbekistan about 10 years ago.

Did you see any on a lek?

I would greatly appreciate it if you could post the original either here with my permission of in Avian. Thanks a stack for sharing this one.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

7. Thanks Paul Lagasi thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ruff's in breeding plumage are a sight to behold and the color variations are amazing. I would think the lady birds would just be swooning over these boys dressed up so elaborately! Congrats on seeing and photographing this one! Great capture of the bird in all of his finery, a nice blue layer bkgd and grasses in the foreground that do not hide the bird at all. The frame is interesting and picks up some of the orange in the face.

9. Thanks Paul Lagasi thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ah Nancy you've pick up one of my tricks, I always use color from the image for my framing

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey, Paul, did you see this image featured in Artie's Blog today

12. Thanks Paul Lagasi thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Cheryl, I checked it out!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

HeyPaul, I think that you may have missed my question above:

I would greatly appreciate it if you could post the original either here with my permission of in Avian. Thanks a stack for sharing this one.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.