Thread: Cheetah ambush

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cheetah ambush

Name:  _DSC5737.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  271.1 KB

Hi everyone, first post for me in some time. I was triggered by your new theme and thought I would try to contribute. In February I made a return visit to Masai Mara, and this was one of the last shots this day. Unfortunately right after this we had too leave (curfew) and missed the upcoming hunt. Because of the low light and that they were moving, I tried to balance between iso and shutter time.

Nikon D800
    Nikon 70-200 @ 200 mm
    f5,6 | 1/1600 SS | ISO-3200

Selectively sharpened the object, adjusted some levels, toned down the foreground slightly - all in LR5
    Slightly cropped, top and right side.

2. Thanks WillieHall thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gregor - Good to have you back posting. One can definitely tell it is the rainy season. I like the lush greens. It's difficult to do an animalscape in low light because of the trade-offs of dof and ss, especially when the animal is on the move. I like that you have the adult and cub following. Did you take a series of frames? If so and you have one a second or two later, then both cats may be completely clear of the foliage (a very small point). Too bad about missing the hunt. Hope you'll post more often and also contribute your thoughts to other threads.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gregor,

very nice image. I like very much the green veggies in the image, that lets the animals stand out much more. Rachel gave you already good advice, I as well would like to have the adult animal with out the bush cutting off the tiny bit. That would be great.

Have a great day

Ciao
    Anette

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is just lovely- I enjoyed viewing, great to see so much of the environment here, those lovely shades of green, the tall trees and those cheetah about to dash in pursuit of prey. Hope you post more often, great work Gregor!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea